Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Comparing my Yamaha 4C with a Noblet 2V  (Read 368 times)

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
Comparing my Yamaha 4C with a Noblet 2V
« on: February 18, 2021, 05:19:53 AM »
A comparison test between my current Yamaha 4C mouthpiece and a Noblet 2V mouthpiece, switching between my current Légère European cut strength 2.5 reed and Fibracell 1.5. I believe the Fibracell is far too soft, no chance of hitting the high notes with it, and with the Noblet it sounds a bit quacky.
Overall I feel that with the Noblet it sounds more like a Sax than a clarinet as far less air is required. But it could just be a case of getting used to it.
Thanks muchly to Windy!

https://youtu.be/OPAgqWV7TRw
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 10:36:09 AM by LarryS »
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
Re: Comparing my Yamaha 4C with a Noblet 2V
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 08:59:35 AM »
You're welcome, Larry! I thought it would be fun to send you a MP that has some specially good qualities, and see what you come up with. The "Noblet" FRANCE 2V is a stencil made by Riffault for various companies). It is easy-blowing and is a well accepted favorite. This one is a great specimen. It's hard to assess from your video because you need to take time to get accustomed to the response of each setup. The softer reed sounds flabby, so I suggest you practice on the Noblet - Legere combo if that's pleasing.

I think you aren't used to the blowing being so easy. You can adjust to it if you experiment with your embouchure. If you think it sounds sax-like, that's an indication that you need to compress your mouth like a ring, a rubber band of muscle around the MP. Hear how that focuses the tone and pitch.

There is a balance between that ring compression and lip pressure on the reed. When you find the right balance, it should ring out nicely. Give it some good practice time before going back to comparisons. Keep steady.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 09:22:38 AM by windydankoff »
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
Re: Conparing my Yamaha 4C with a Noblet 2V
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 10:35:29 AM »
Its certainly a lot more free blowing than the Yamaha. Strange thing I found after further experimenting, I prefer the Noblet with a Rico Royale 2 reed rather than with the Legere! That was a surprise. And I'm wondering if I should try a 3 strength cane reed with it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 10:37:10 AM by LarryS »
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 10:38:32 AM »
Here's a video of me using a Rico Royal 2 with the Noblet. I reckon I could put a 3 on there. Or maybe try a Vandoren.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLb6sAlArrX/?igshid=13glkk76bt9b7
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 11:13:43 AM »
You sound better on the Yamaha that you're used to.   

When this Covid thing is out of the way I'd love to go up there and help sort your embouchure out (where are you? Sunderland, I seem to recall).  I'm sure it would be much easier face to face.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 12:25:46 AM »
You sound better on the Yamaha that you're used to.   

When this Covid thing is out of the way I'd love to go up there and help sort your embouchure out (where are you? Sunderland, I seem to recall).  I'm sure it would be much easier face to face.

Off topic, but I've always wanted to hold a ClarinetPages Convention - a meeting/hangout of all the active members on this forum. I've been helping run this place for like 9 or so years and I have yet to meet any of you fine folks.

Once COVID is over - maybe ClarinetPages could set up a booth at a national music convention. Or make our own little event.

Thoughts? I feel like it would be a pretty incredible weekend or so with America's most dedicated (and Canada!) clarinet enthusiasts.

Maybe in a year or two when this darn plague is over.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline windydankoff

• View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2021, 06:25:36 AM »
That would be fun and enlightening, Dave! I was on a flute maker's forum for a few years. Every time I traveled to a distant place, I put out a message saying where I was going. I got invited to visit 7 makers overall - near Washington DC, rural Wisconsin, an island near Seattle, and at a hot spring in Oregon where a man dipped his plastic recorder into the water as he played (try it in your bathtub!).

If we sign our messages with location, it helps us set up visits and could lead to some gatherings.
-- Windy • Santa Fe, New Mexico USA

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 09:55:18 AM »
Its weird. The Noblet 2V is supposed to be a better mpc than my Yamaha 4C, but I easily prefer the Yamaha! It sounds warmer, less harsh than the Noblet. Or is it just me  :-\
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline windydankoff

• View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 10:07:15 AM »
I don't think it's weird, Larry. It is a case of "whatever works", regardless of name, status, or history of the MP. As the donor of your Noblet MP, I am not disappointed. It is a good standard of comparison, so if it demonstrated that the 4C is optimum for you, then you may enjoy it with added confidence.

MPs are not only highly personal, but also they also vary within any given brand and model. Rejoice!

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2021, 12:17:36 PM »
Nothing odd about it Larry.  The Yamaha is a perfectly respectable mouthpiece and a Noblet 2V is a similarly respectable student mouthpiece - but old. 

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2021, 05:43:31 PM »
That would be fun and enlightening, Dave! I was on a flute maker's forum for a few years. Every time I traveled to a distant place, I put out a message saying where I was going. I got invited to visit 7 makers overall - near Washington DC, rural Wisconsin, an island near Seattle, and at a hot spring in Oregon where a man dipped his plastic recorder into the water as he played (try it in your bathtub!).

If we sign our messages with location, it helps us set up visits and could lead to some gatherings.
-- Windy • Santa Fe, New Mexico USA

Yes it would. Great idea Dave. It would be so much fun to jam together.
-- Airflyte ~ Port Washington, WI. USA
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 01:33:34 AM »
Well its all good. The only part of clarinet playing thats holding me back is going up with the register key. I play an A then hit the register key for next higher notes and its so awkward having to jump down to the pinky keys. Its just not smooth.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2021, 02:37:08 AM »
Put all the right hand fingers and the pinky key(s) down when you play the A.  Then only the left hand has to move and, if your hand position is correct, that should be a simple efficient movement as we have discussed previously.

That and practise scales.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 02:46:48 AM by Dibbs »

Offline windydankoff

• View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2021, 07:10:54 AM »
You can search "clarinet crossing the break" and find several videos that should be helpful.

Offline delb0y

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2021, 08:45:05 AM »
I spend hours on this, Larry, so you're not alone.

I practice C and G  scales really slowly and once I get to the open G I start to put some of my right hand fingers down, then as I hit the A I put the rest of my right hand fingers down, and my left hand pinkie, then by the time I want to hit the B all I have to worry about is, as Dibbs said, the left hand. Takes some practice but it works. I can cross the break pretty cleanly (if slowly) now.

Something else I've discovered is that blues in C and G all seem to have lines that cross the break involving a Bb ! In fact, loads of blues seem to hover right around the break - it's like they're designed just to annoy us :-) Try "Tumbledown Blues" in the James Rae book which you have - the first 12 bars is all in the low register and the second 12 takes you across the break a few times but with the same melody.

Derek