Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 63 times)

Offline delb0y

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Hello
« on: February 21, 2021, 09:45:58 AM »
Can't find an "Introduction" section so hope it's okay to post here?

Larry S posted a mention of this place on a Facebook Beginners Group so I thought I'd come and take a look and join in. Hope that's okay, too?

I played 50 years for a couple of years at the grand old age of eight. Never got very far back then but always kept my old B&H Regent and my copy of A Tune A Day. I dug both out last June during the first UK lockdown and have been playing pretty much every day since, save for a fortnight's break when I had a wisdom tooth out. I'be made it to the end of A Tune A Day Book #1 - something I never managed 50 years ago - and have recently invested in a Buffet B12 from the local classifieds.

That's about it.

Cheers
Derek

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 12:32:01 PM »
Hello and welcome.

The B12 is essentially an updated version of the Regent.  B&H owned Buffer in the 80s and 90s and the Regent became the B12. 

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 01:47:04 PM »
Welcome aboard Derek!
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 02:03:21 PM »
Great to hear you're playing again, music enriches our lives greatly, I believe.
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline TMHeimer

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2021, 02:07:54 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I started clarinet about 57 years ago (private lessons-- my first teacher back then passed away in 2014 age 96 I think). I do remember A Tune A Day. Good book. When I started I used a thick book called "Foundation to Clarinet Playing". It took you from step one to pretty advanced. I believe it may still be in print, but at least no doubt available from ebay or somewhere online.
The Most Advanced Clarinet Book
tomheimer.ampbk.com/
austinmacauley.com/author/heimer-tom
(click on the book image then on PDF for samples)
"Boreal Ballad" for unacc. clarinet solo (advanced)--available at
Sheet Music Plus

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2021, 02:46:21 PM »
I think I've still got my old Otto Langey book somewhere.

Offline delb0y

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2021, 12:01:45 AM »
Thanks guys.

It's going reasonably, well. Better than expected. But even only playing for these nine months or so, lots of plateaus and frustration and nice surprises in equal measure.

Current focus is on what to play, rather than how. That's not to say I'm happy with the how -  far from it, but just trying to build some note-choice knowledge in parallel with the technique.

I think I'm going to start recording myself more, too. Every time I think I'm sounding okay a bit of recording brings back me to earth with a bump!

Cheers
Derek

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2021, 06:44:05 AM »
Welcome Derek!  I also took a 50-year break from clarinet. But I did play flute and some sax for 40 years ... Then I went to a concert of E European music and came out declaring "I gotta get a clarinet!" Wow, was I in for a ride! It's been an obsession for 6 years now. I perform in Jewish services, I collect, buy and sell, do repairs and improvements ... I play clarinets in C, Bb, Eb alto ... good thing I'm retired from my old career! It's an instrument that demands a lot, but gives much in return.

I found a local teacher, really a necessity, took lessons for a year. We agree that the old Rubank books are excellent. There are great online resources now. Michelle Anderson videos are some of the good ones, for example

ClarinetPages has been a wonderful resource and a great sharing platform. Enjoy!
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2021, 05:45:12 PM »
Hi! Welcome to the forum.  :D
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages