Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NEWBIE REPAIR QUERY  (Read 431 times)

Offline Andy Mac

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
NEWBIE REPAIR QUERY
« on: February 23, 2021, 09:47:39 AM »
Hi,
I need some new cork on a Yamaha 26II but can't afford to get them done professionally.
I'm retired on a fixed income but I have a young son who plays piano, guitar, and sings and picked up this clarinet for him to try.
I've decided to install the corks myself and have watched a few You-Tube videos.
I want to do it right so looking for any advice including type & thickness of cork to use.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
Re: NEWBIE REPAIR QUERY
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 12:16:24 PM »
The way I do it is to start with cork slightly thicker than you'll need.  I use contact cement available at any hardware or home improvement store.  Don't forget to cut a "ramp" on the end that you place first for your strip to overlap, and make sure you apply contact cement to that small surface.  Trim off the excess with a cutting implement of your choice, but something extremely sharp, like a razor blade or X-acto.  Then, I use narrow strips of sand paper to shave them down to size, testing as I go.  I think pros may use a lathe to do that, but you've got to work with what you've got.  I buy cork sheet from Music Medic in small squares, but you might find luck with those cork strips they sell for that purpose on ebay and such, never tried them.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:18:21 PM by modernicus »
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline jdbassplayer

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 12:17:23 PM »
If your only goal is to save money it would be best to take it to a tech. The materials to replace one tenon cork cost more than having it done professionally. You need a bottle of contact cement, razor blades, a straightedge, some sandpaper and of course the cork. Yamaha cork is usually 3/64" or 1.2mm, but you may need to sand it thinner. The cheapest place to get good cork is probably Music Medic, but you need to spend $10 to get free shipping I think. Maybe you can also buy the contact cement there. At best if you already have sandpaper and razor blades you are only really saving maybe $10 or $15.

For a really cheap option you can use cotton thread like on a bassoon.

Offline Andy Mac

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 12:29:12 PM »
Thanks Modernicus
I just tried Music Medic but their site seems to be down..something about maintenance.
I was looking at some of the kits on eBay but wanted to be sure I got the right cork & thickness.

Offline Andy Mac

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 12:32:30 PM »
Thanks jdbassplayer
My 26II needs at least two tenon corks maybe more and around here it's a minimum of $35 for each one to get them installed.
I've watched 4 or 5 different videos on how to replace them & have been looking at kits on eBay
Hopefully, someone has had experience with some of the available corks & or cork kits on eBay
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 12:56:49 PM by Andy Mac »

Offline mechanic

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 03:05:09 PM »
Look into Valentino synthetic tenon cork.  Usually around $20 for 5 strips.  They will seal well, and if your son really takes to the clarinet they can always be changed out in the future.  I used them on my son's Vito for marching band and they worked quite well.  Cork grease tends to make them sticky and compress, so use a wrap or 2 of teflon tape instead of grease.
For Phil's  " The Clarinet Pages " forum. clarinetpages.info  https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 10:02:42 PM »
I would recommend MusicMedic tenon corks. They're like a buck a piece and are pretty decent. Quality control is lackluster, but MM is pretty good at replacing poor materials.

I've been using their corks for years now and have had great results.

My major recommendation, which I learned from Phil, is to wrap the corks in teflon plumber's tape (a buck or so at a hardware store). This keeps things clean (NO cork grease) and is a really effective way at getting the corks to slid right in to the joint.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Andy Mac

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2021, 10:54:15 AM »
Cheers Dave,
I've spent hours over the last few days trying to register to place an order with Music Medic but have been unsuccessful.
The Music Medic website keep rejecting my registration - keeps saying Incorrect CAPTCHA - I have literally tried at least 50 times.
I cleared my cache, rebooted my computer tried a different email etc. but nothing worked.
I won't be bothering with their website any more!
I've registered with another supplier, Instrument Clinic - it took less than a minute.
Can you tell me what thickness of cork I need to order for a Yamaha 26II clarinet?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 06:53:19 PM by Andy Mac »

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2021, 06:51:17 AM »
jdbassplayer told you the most likely size. Look above.

Offline Andy Mac

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2021, 07:24:33 AM »
Cheers Dibbs, I guess I missed that.
Thanks again.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2021, 08:20:08 PM »
I would always get thicker rather than thinner corks. You can always sand down thick corks; if you get ones that are too thin you're basically screwed.

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2021, 03:34:12 AM »
I would always get thicker rather than thinner corks. You can always sand down thick corks; if you get ones that are too thin you're basically screwed.

Yes, as advised earlier

...you may need to sand it thinner.

Offline Andy Mac

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2021, 10:54:43 AM »
I'll order the next size up, 1/16" thick instead of the 3/64 as mentioned above.
Cheers! 

Offline jdbassplayer

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2021, 07:11:54 AM »
I'll order the next size up, 1/16" thick instead of the 3/64 as mentioned above.
Cheers!

Why? That's just a waste of time and money...

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2021, 02:57:20 PM »
Cheers!

Why? That's just a waste of time and money...
Let's say that the tenon groove is just a bit shallower than you'd expected, and you end up with a cork that's a bit too thin.

I've been there before, and it's a huge hassle and waste of time to fit, adhere, cure, and then find out it's just not thick enough.