Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pre-1885 and 1918 Buffet Crampon, early Meliphone mouthpiece  (Read 416 times)

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
Pre-1885 and 1918 Buffet Crampon, early Meliphone mouthpiece
« on: March 28, 2021, 11:26:47 AM »
Here's some pics of the latest incoming to the collection, a pre-serial number and a 1918 Buffet Crampon.  Note the Brevetes S.G.D.G on the pre-1885/no serial.  Overall fair condition with no cracks or missing keys, several bent key/screw issues to be sorted.  Barrel non-original.  Also, a 1918 Buffet Crampon in really nice condition for it's age, purchased from the family of the original owner.  It came with a period correct adjustable hard rubber barrel and an early "Meliphone" Charles Chedeville/Eugene Bercioux associated Steel Ebonite mouthpiece  It has the interlocking C.Chedeville C's monogram and the patent info relating to Bercioux's mouthpiece facing machine.  It's in fair shape, with some scratches from a ligature or cap on the side, and the functional surfaces have the most minor of marks (exaggerated in the photo), which do not seem to affect the playability at all.  These apparently can be very desirable mouthpieces on their own, but maybe more so as the starting basis for a master mouthpiece craftsman.  I only tried it a little bit after cleaning, but so far it's quite nice. Mine is a B6 facing-I'm assuming the B is for Bercioux?!  Anyway, somehow this was all associated with The Woodwind Co., hence the steel ebonite and facing nomenclature continuing under that more well known company name.  Explanation from mouthpiece craftsman Ramon Wodkowski: https://www.google.com/amp/s/ramonwodkowski.blog/2014/06/13/meliphone-and-early-20th-century-mouthpiece-production/amp/
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 12:52:40 PM by modernicus »
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
Re: Pre-1885 and 1918 Buffet Crampon
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 11:29:13 AM »
Pics.

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
Re: Pre-1885 and 1918 Buffet Crampon
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 11:38:49 AM »
Mpc pics.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
Re: Pre-1885 and 1918 Buffet Crampon, early Meliphone mouthpiece
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 07:42:01 PM »
Incredible finds, Mod!  Thanks for sharing those.
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2021, 05:45:54 AM »
You're welcome- if you guys like to see 'em, I'll keep the pics and descriptions coming!

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2021, 08:16:20 PM »
I certainly do.  I get a big kick out of studying the many different, evolving techniques for the different systems.  I admire simple flawless mechanics.  It is my oponion that we are ridong the backside of the curve of greatness in mechanical innovation, and because mechanical study and design was such a large part of my life in so many capacities, and for so long, I enjoy celebrating bygone efforts.  Keep 'em coming!
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline PipeTobacco

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 01:23:28 PM »
Oh!  Very nice!  Thank you for the background link!  The mouthpiece looks pretty nice, but I really like the look of the upper ring of the barrel in the first set of pictures! 

PipeTobacco

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 06:47:39 PM »
Yes, that's the adjustable part!