Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Harwood LP A  (Read 51 times)

Offline GrumpyMiddleAgedMan

• Humph
    • View Profile
Harwood LP A
« on: April 01, 2021, 03:52:35 PM »
Picked up a Harwood Professional, didn't notice but it was an A key.  It is in ok shape, going to need standard tune up.  Probably paid too much for it but its something new for me.
Register is a top side, bell marked in circle harwood professional j.w.j.s.m.co under which is made in czechq-slovakia and what im guessing is the serial # 1368 or there abouts.  Don't see any other markings on the body other than  A LP, and barrel is marked with the makers mark in circle.  Wood is fairly light, doesn't seem to be stained too dark, and IMO the grain isn't too dense.  Has the feel and look more of a student instrument than a professional.  Bell is stuck right now but that will be taken care of and some of the rings are loose, also will be taken care of.  Came with a chipped MP which was dried out which was stuck as well.  It looks  like it was hanging in a window or something by the driedoutness of the MP rubber.  Minimal rust and discoloration of keywork so I'm guessing it is not too old.
Is this a stencil?  I am not sure.  Kind of interested if anyone has heard of them, quality of instrument, desirability etc. If anyone could give me a hand with basic info I would be most appreciative.
Only happy mistakes here.

Online modernicus

• View Profile
Re: Harwood LP A
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 06:37:54 PM »
Definitely a stencil, could be any number of manufacturers, I don't know all the Czech ones, you've got Kohlert, which later was transformed into Amati I think, Josef Lidl, probably a number of others...
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Online DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Harwood LP A
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 09:51:40 PM »
As a general rule of thumb, if an A clarinet is not Chinese, it tends to be pretty solid.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States