Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another Blues...  (Read 111 times)

Offline delb0y

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Another Blues...
« on: May 05, 2021, 09:35:16 AM »
This is a simple blues in Bb - so C on the clarinet - to practice and, hopefully help memorise, a couple of turnaround licks. I used the B12 here, rather than the Noblet simply because it was out and on the stand. It's just over 11 months since i started this journey and this outlines the territory that I'm aiming for, although I feel like I'm looking at the travel brochure before even booking my trip, let alone commencing the travel, or even arriving in the same country, let alone that territory...

https://youtu.be/P1Fn6g0SCjI

Regards
Derek

Offline PipeTobacco

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: Another Blues...
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 01:31:59 PM »
Derek:

That was VERY nice!  I like the tone from all three instruments (clarinet, guitar, and voice).  Really nicely done. 

If I am correct from what I read in your post, I am kind of assuming you are “newer” to the aspects of recording yourself and merging sound tracks and “splicing” video (not sure what the current term for splicing would be)?  If I am correct, I would very much enjoy (if you do not mind) a description of the equipment and software you used to create your video.  I would like to do a video like this myself. 

PipeTobacco

Offline delb0y

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 10:28:11 PM »
Hi PipeTobacco

Thanks for the nice comment. I'm new to the clarinet, but have been recording and videoing the guitar for many years. That said, I've never spent much time on the recording / video technology side of things, so my methodology and technology probably leave a lot to be desired. Nevertheless...

The sound is recorded directly into my laptop via a Samson USB microphone. I record into a programme called Sonar X1, which is a cut-down version of Cakewalk. This software is very old and actually came free with the USB microphone about 15 years ago. I record the clarinet and guitar/vocals separately, and mix / pan them, then export the sound file as a WAV.

The videos were recorded (at the same time as the audio) on a regular digital camera. In this case a Panasonic with a flip-screen which makes it really easy to see what the camera is recording.

I then imported the sound file and two video files into a video editing programme called Power Director. I use a copy of version 13 which was about a tenner on eBay. In Power Director I synch the sound file to the two videos (it's easy because the videos have audio, too) and once synched I turn off the audio from the videos (this is as easy as unchecking a check box) so I'm only hearing the audio from the USB mic, which is better quality. Then it's just a case of creating a master video track by cutting sections from each file to make the final "spliced" file. There are lots of other effects I could have added - fade-ins, zooms, and so on- but here it was just a quick and dirty effort.

It's all a bit of a faff to be honest, so I don't do it very often. And I tend to go with first takes because of all the stopping and starting - hence the squeak at the end. But the end result can be passable.

Cheers
Derek
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 10:31:58 PM by delb0y »

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 05:42:17 PM »
That was great! (Even the squeak).
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages