Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New package arrived from France....  (Read 113 times)

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
New package arrived from France....
« on: May 11, 2021, 04:28:10 PM »
Oh boy, exciting times- got a shipment of packages consolidated from France, which includes another integrated barrel/brass keyed Buffet Crampon & Cie Bb (slightly different yet than the other two?!), an integrated barrel Couesnon C, and an integrated barrel Bonnel a Rennes A (Bonnel was a French instrument dealer), maybe by Gautrot (later Couesnon -they sourced wind instruments from them, apparently).  Also, a Buffet Crampon & Cie wood mouthpiece in stunning, very little used condition in its own antique little mouthpiece case also containing a tiny blackwood or ebony (cork grease?) container with screw-on lid in what looks like virtually unused condition.  Pictures to come!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 08:30:46 AM by modernicus »
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
Re: New package arrived from France....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2021, 05:37:45 PM »
Yup, pics will be required  ;)
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 07:54:16 PM »
The Buffet is a bit worse for the wear and it has obviously been in a damp environment or gotten wet at some point, but not totally destroyed.  Maybe close, though....  The brass keys are more susceptible to physical damage and corrosion for obvious reasons.  These Buffet Boehms with brass keys seem pretty rare so I have to take what I can get. I've bought all of them I've come across at auction!  The Bonnel is decent, keys tarnished yellow/gold to the point they almost looked brass in the pics, but they seem to be nickel silver underneath the layer of crud.  Lower ring key stack is missing, unfortunately.  Got these both for next to nothing, so can't expect TOO much.  The Couesnon is in quite nice shape visually, though!  It can easily be a player again with the normal pads, corks and adjustments.. And the Buffet mouthpiece (was in it's own auction) looks to have virtually never been played, can barely tell it's wood at a glance: dark and glossy with no teeth marks and still has gilding in the logo and lines.  Nicest one I've ever seen!
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 09:18:04 PM »
I gotta see that mouthpiece. You guys know I'm the logo-gilding maestro! I do prefer seeing the originals though, nothing like good, old-fashioned craftsmanship.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States