Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cleanly & Neatly Cutting the Tail End of a Cane Reed? Advice?  (Read 96 times)

Offline PipeTobacco

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Hello Everyone:

I was wondering if anyone has had experience and/or advice on cutting the tail end of cane reeds in a way that is smooth and attractive looking? I have found it easier to procure baritone saxophone reeds for my contra alto clarinet and they fit well on the mouthpiece for playing.... but they extend farther back on the mouthpiece so there is a good 3/8 in or perhaps even a bit more that runs into the neck joint and puts a bit of torsional pressure on that joint when the ligature is tightened.

I was thinking of using a simple coping saw, but with the delicate nature of cane and the tongue end of the reed itself, I was seeking advice. I think I would typically like to cut off the tail end about 1/2 inch.... and would like it to not look like a ragged, crooked mess.

PipeTobacco

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
Re: Cleanly & Neatly Cutting the Tail End of a Cane Reed? Advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 09:18:59 PM »
You need a very fine-tooth saw. "X-Acto Razor Saw" is commonly available ... also available with a matching mitre box, if you wish."

Another way would be to sand it with a coarse grade, possibly with a stationery belt sander. Or, use a grinding wheel. A coarse grit will remove quickly without burning.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 09:51:39 PM by windydankoff »
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
Re: Cleanly & Neatly Cutting the Tail End of a Cane Reed? Advice?
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 12:40:41 PM »
I use an ultra-fine cross cut Japanese dozuki saw to cut the end off clarinet reeds for my tarogato.  It does a nice neat job but I only use it because I happen to have one.  It wouldn't bother me in the slightest if it looked a bit messy so long as it worked.  I do get a bit fussy about how some things look but not the arse end of reeds.