Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Setting Up a Bundy Alto Instructions Needed  (Read 80 times)

Offline Abraxas

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Setting Up a Bundy Alto Instructions Needed
« on: June 26, 2021, 05:15:51 AM »
Hello all. I have a Bundy Alto Clarinet and I am a novice in terms of playing anything on it. I did my own pad job and messed up but not badly. I put it in a reputable shop and the tech said after some minor adjustments it was now playable. I wasn't at all impressed with it's performance and am not sure I want to put it back in the shop as I'm expecting that would be a segue to more charges and a confrontation. I had a pro player check it out also and he pronounced it as unplayable.

I cannot find resources online on how to go through these instruments in a methodical way to test and adjust the hardware. I think I asked this before on this Forum, years ago, but got somewhat ambiguous answers like "the internet' or "check Youtube". I haven't found anything myself. If I have missed anything, a proper link would be awesome. Cheers.

Online DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Setting Up a Bundy Alto Instructions Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 01:35:30 PM »
I suppose the best way that I know for a quick and easy playability check is to run a leak light through, top to bottom.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline jdbassplayer

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2021, 12:27:12 PM »
You need to go through all of the pads with a feeler gauge. A leak light can help but it won't tell you the whole story.

Here's how to make one, though I suggest using a plastic shopping bag instead of the tape as it will be more precise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg1DJhEBZEM

Some pads to pay close attention to are the Ab and the Ab/Eb keys, they are some of the harder ones to get level.

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 03:31:59 AM »
A bit over the top that tool.  I used to glue a bit of cassette tape to a matchstick and I used the actual tape not the leader.  I think it was thinner than the leader but I may be wrong.  Maybe I just had cheap tapes.

Now that cassette tapes are relatively rare I just cut a similar width strip of cigarette paper.

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 05:23:42 PM »
Great advice, about feeler gauges. I have used plastic packaging material that is thin and stiff, and dental floss. I favor materials that don't curl quickly, or get out of control with static attraction. I use my digital caliper to measure the thickness of the feeler material.

I also use a modified stethoscope. It is less sensitive, but very quick and easy to interpret how pressure influences the leak. Refer to: https://clarinetpages.info/smf/index.php/topic,1673.msg12507.html#msg12507
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html