Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mentor  (Read 207 times)

Offline kewald

• Old man learning new stuff!
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Shop
Mentor
« on: July 04, 2021, 03:35:17 PM »
As you may know, I'm relatively new at refurbishing vintage clarinets.

I think I'm doing an ok job, but could use a second opinion.

Would one of you who do similar work be willing, as a professional courtesy, to critique one of the instruments I've worked on?

I have several listed on my Etsy shop: Etsy.com/shop/KennyWhosKlarinettes.

If you are willing, just view my shop, pick out one to review and send a message with the listing title and your name and shipping address.  I'll deactivate the listing and send the instrument to you with a return label.  Give the instrument a thorough going over, play test, etc. and send me a critique.  Oh, and send back the horn, please!

I'm not looking for an endorsement, just an honest critique.

Thanks
Ken
Retired
Refurbishing Vintage Clarinets

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Mentor
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 05:00:22 PM »
Just an initial impression, I think your prices are too high! A nice restored wood Normandy 8 or 10 would sell for $300-350, which means that a nice restored Bundy resonite would be a hard sell at that price. They sure look nice though.

If you have anything really unique, and not previously listed on ClarinetPages.xyz, ask Phil if he'd like to check it out!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline kewald

• View Profile
    • My Etsy Shop
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 09:53:43 AM »
My ability to properly price anything is gone.  I no longer have any idea of the intrinsic value of anything.  If there's not a stated price, I have no idea of something's value. 

May have to do with my 25 year history of short term memory problems.  Back then, I was a business systems analyst/programmer.  I began to often forget why I had switched screens in Windows.  Went to the Dr. and all he did was look at my head.  Said that since my hair began greying early and by then I had white hair, that I had Pernicious Anemia, which can cause nerve damage and memory loss.  Put me on monthly injections of vitamin B12.  Three months later, at my check up, he asked how my memory was.  I said - hell Doc, I don't remember forgetting anything.

B12 has probably slowed the progression of memory problems, but how would I know?

Anyway, if anyone has a better idea of how much each of my instruments might bring, I'd be glad for the advice.

Thanks
Ken
Retired

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2021, 09:12:35 PM »
The way I see it, if you can sell at your current prices, then there's zero reason to go any lower.

However, if you're more interested in quick sales, here are my 2 cents for pricing:

1. Bundy Resonite - $125-150
2. Jean Aubert - $125-1750
3. BH 1-10 - $150-175
4. BH Edgeware Wood x2 - $200-225
5. American Standard - $125-150
6. Normandy Reso-Tone - $150-175
7. Malerne wood - $250-275

Offline kewald

• View Profile
    • My Etsy Shop
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2021, 08:52:51 AM »
Thanks Dave.
I guess your prices include free shipping like mine do?
There's an old adage about pricing.  If your price is too high, it can always be lowered.  But low prices are hard to raise.
Ken
Retired

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2021, 08:48:51 PM »
Thanks Dave.
I guess your prices include free shipping like mine do?
There's an old adage about pricing.  If your price is too high, it can always be lowered.  But low prices are hard to raise.

I tend to do free shipping, myself. My rule with pricing: start at your max, then slowly lower it until you've reached your minimum, and don't go any lower. If you're lucky you'll capture a buyer at your preferred price. At worse, you'll sell it at your minimum stop-loss price. Either way, you don't lose, which is all we can really do in business.

Offline kewald

• View Profile
    • My Etsy Shop
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2021, 09:09:21 PM »
I tend to do free shipping, myself. My rule with pricing: start at your max, then slowly lower it until you've reached your minimum, and don't go any lower. If you're lucky you'll capture a buyer at your preferred price. At worse, you'll sell it at your minimum stop-loss price. Either way, you don't lose, which is all we can really do in business.

Yes.  My plan is to list first on Etsy for 4 months and have a 10% off sale for a time in the middle.  Anything that doesn’t sell there within 4 months gets listed at a lower price on EBay.  The theory being that Etsy buyers are shopping for well made stuff and EBay shoppers may be more price shoppers.  We’ll see.
Ken
Retired

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2021, 11:39:50 PM »
Have you tried Reverb.com? It's a musical instrument specific sales site, so you may capture some of the more hardcore buyers. I sold a rare Charles Bay custom R13 for $1800 two years ago, and the buyer wrote me the other week singing praises.
Reverb commands high prices as the clientele is more discerning, typically.

Offline kewald

• View Profile
    • My Etsy Shop
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 09:52:50 AM »
Have you tried Reverb.com? It's a musical instrument specific sales site, so you may capture some of the more hardcore buyers. I sold a rare Charles Bay custom R13 for $1800 two years ago, and the buyer wrote me the other week singing praises.
Reverb commands high prices as the clientele is more discerning, typically.

Yes, I listed my 1st 3 on Reverb about 10 months ago.  Got several views and 2 watchers but nothing else. I don't recall how long they were listed, but probably more than a month.  About that time I started work on some projects on my workshop and stopped working on clarinets for several months.  I tend to concentrate on one hobby at a time.

I'll add Reverb to the rotation schedule of my selling sites.  Having done business systems design for about half of my career, I tend to use spreadsheets for everything.

Since Reverb is music oriented with discerning clientele, I would think that more valuable instruments would sell very well there.  Have you sold many student/intermediate horns there?
Ken
Retired