Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Clarinet newbie  (Read 270 times)

Offline Goonny_Bedman

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Clarinet newbie
« on: December 29, 2021, 03:33:04 PM »
Howdy folks.
Clarinet newbie here with a few questions.

I picked up an old clarinet almost 3 years ago with a view of giving it a try, but work & kids took over my free time, so I never got to play it and it went into the attic until a few days ago. Now it's back out of the case and in 3 days I went from hissing and squeaking to being able to blow an octave & a half (not quite in tune).
Hoping to get some lessons soon, but for the time being just trying to play a few sounds on it.

I found a "tonestro" app that apparently records your playing and shows pitch errors, which sounds like a great learning aid to me. The cost of the app, however, seems to be quite high and only available on a recurring subscription basis, so I tried looking for alternatives. Can you recommend any similar products?
I found Take7, but it does not show pitch errors. E.g. if I blow 30c off, it still shows that a correct note has been played!

I am mainly interested in the jazz side of the clarinet, with almost no interest in classical, so any advice on how to approach learning would be welcome. I would also appreciate the directions to the crossroads where I can sell my soul in exchange for that Edmond Hall or George Lewis sound.

Thanks.

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
Re: Clarinet newbie
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 10:20:45 AM »
Welcome to the forum. I think I tried  the free version of that app when I was intent on learning the flute but didn't get on with it at all. In fact I found it pretty useless.
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Goonny_Bedman

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 05:33:52 AM »
Thanks.

I guess I can just record myself playing a scale and check the pitch in audacity.

If nobody's going to share the location of the crossroads, perhaps you can at least give some practice advice? ;) Or is it the route of getting a nice clean, solid sound first and only looking to "Edmond Hall" it at a much later stage?

Offline super20dan

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 05:39:39 AM »
work on a nice clean sound first. the world dosnt need another acker bilk

Offline Goonny_Bedman

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 07:55:18 AM »
I'm afraid there's no chance of that happening - I don't mind knocking my front teeth out, but I ain't switching to no boehm system.

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 01:02:31 PM »

Why not?   There isn't one any more.

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 01:03:15 PM »
I'm afraid there's no chance of that happening - I don't mind knocking my front teeth out, but I ain't switching to no boehm system.

What the hell has the key system got to do with it?

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 03:24:30 PM »
My real question is, where is Goony from where Boehm is not the standard?
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Goonny_Bedman

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 12:01:33 AM »
Dibbs - absolutely nothing. Just kidding. I'm not planning to knock my teeth out to get closer to Bilk's sound either.  ;)

Boehm is not the standard in my house.
I guess Germany, Austria, Turkey, New Orleans and parts of Eastern Europe would also fall into the Oehler/Albert category.

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 03:44:47 AM »
Oh but the world does!
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline delb0y

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2022, 12:22:14 AM »
Evan Christopher uses something other than a Boehm system, I believe, but many other jazzers use Boehm and sound great. I don't think it's essential to the jazz, or even the New Orleans sound, to use something such as the Albert system - although I do recall reading once the lack of rings around tone holes on other system allows more, or easier, bending of notes.

Here's a great article on other aspects of the New Orleans sound by the aforementioned Evan Christopher:
https://www.clarinetroad.com/new-orleans-clarinet-origins/

I also read that a lot of those ole New Orleans guys started off with a tutor by the name of Lorenzo Tio who schooled them in classical playing first...  So maybe there's the answer.

Offline Goonny_Bedman

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2022, 10:34:47 AM »
Thank you for the article - this one is to read & re-read.

My choice of Albert mainly comes from the fact that:
- The sound I like came from Albert players;
- Here in the UK one can pick up an Albert in decent shape for an equivalent of $30 + the cost of new pads. I don't care that much if it's not going to be perfectly in tune at first: right now it's just for me to noodle around at home, and I can "upgrade" to a gerry system if I keep on playing.
- I don't like the look of Boehm system.  :-\

I build, repair and restore musical instruments, so might as well take a stab at servicing woodwinds.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2022, 09:20:27 PM »
Welcome-
I very much like Alberts, too.  I love their honest, clear sound, and their exceptional lack of heft.  I love that such a beautifully sculpted, simple machine could be capable of providing all that some of the greatest players ever needed. I have a decent number of them, at present. I would be remiss if I didn't point out that Albert Bbs are a long reach, and a bit of a chore, even with reasonably large hands.
Forked fingerings slow my playing, because they consume my mind with contradictions, having been indocrinated on the Boehm system. 

I play by ear;  (blues, jazz, freeform) so I have the option of flexibility, but I confess, too, that I love the mechanical layout of a Boehm, as to me it seems more commonsensical.  I keep a B&H 2-20 and a Pedler Grenadilla full boehm (Bless you, Lisa) on the stand, and they get regular use, but my others typically wile away on stands and in boxes.
I absolutely love my LP Albert C, as keywork feels very natural, and the voice, divine, and it sees light semi-regularly.

Both systems bring me joy, and for very different reasons.  When I play a Boehm, I feel halfway decent
As a musician.  An Albert humbles me, but the experience is quite satisfying.

It's nice to have a bloke about who has not been swayed to a style out of convenience, but rather pursuit of a style and sound.  That should be one's guide, quite frankly.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 09:24:31 PM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline Goonny_Bedman

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 12:17:34 PM »
It's going to be my fourth instrument - I normally play the guitar, can do a bit of mandolin (poorly) and on some occasions torture a squeezebox, so might as well treat myself to a stylish gobstick.

Am I right to think that a clarinet in A has got the same range as an alto sax, so I can play along sax backing tracks, just need to transpose the sax part from Eb into A?
I've got a matched pair of E.J. Albert A and Bb clarinets cleaned up & waiting for new pads to arrive.
In the meantime I'm trying to learn the basics on an old stencil (looks very similar to old Hawkes & Sons) with a Fobes Debut mouthpiece in it.

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2022, 07:02:36 AM »
I prefer simple system clarinets too. I appreciate my Boehm's though !!

Again, mouth piece and reed combo will shape your sound waaay more than the keywork layout.

"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages