Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking at getting a sling but...  (Read 126 times)

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
Looking at getting a sling but...
« on: January 12, 2022, 02:31:51 PM »
I can't see from pictures online how the leather tab attaches to the clarinet! My thumb rest has a ring at the top at right angles to the actual thumb rest, (looks like L )which is able to be moved up and down via a large screw .
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 02:35:45 PM by LarryS »
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
Re: Looking at getting a sling but...
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 03:48:07 PM »
You mean a neck strap? A strap or sling sold for clarinets may have a leather tab to attach to a typical thumb rest, because a typical T rest does NOT have a ring. Yours HAS a ring for a strap hook (common on Chinese clarinets). It probably gets in the way of the tab. So, you want to buy a SAX strap - one with a simple hook, that will go through your ring. A cheap one with string is good, because you may have to shorten the string, and it's easy to do.

You can also make one easily - just copy a typical cheap sax strap. I use a strap now because I strained my R thumb.
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 03:53:01 PM »
You mean a neck strap? A strap or sling sold for clarinets may have a leather tab to attach to a typical thumb rest, because a typical T rest does NOT have a ring. Yours HAS a ring for a strap hook (common on Chinese clarinets). It probably gets in the way of the tab. So, you want to buy a SAX strap - one with a simple hook, that will go through your ring. A cheap one with string is good, because you may have to shorten the string, and it's easy to do.

You can also make one easily - just copy a typical cheap sax strap. I use a strap now because I strained my R thumb.
Cheers Windy
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline windydankoff

• View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2022, 08:26:02 AM »
I strained my R thumb, struggling with bass clarinet positioning. If not for thumb pain, I would not need (or want) a strap. Why do you wish for one, Larry?

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 10:12:17 AM »
I strained my R thumb, struggling with bass clarinet positioning. If not for thumb pain, I would not need (or want) a strap. Why do you wish for one, Larry?
After a while my thumb hurts. I don't think its pressure pain, I think it's positional.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 06:21:40 AM »

Something like this @Windydankoff ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soft-Padded-Saxophone-Neck-Strap/dp/B005FQH0DY/ref=asc_df_B005FQH0DY/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310829044542&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=113836261917036857&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006669&hvtargid=pla-756658546752&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline windydankoff

• View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 10:49:50 AM »
The cheapest string-type strap is more than sufficient., like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rico-Strap-Alto-Soprano-Saxophone/dp/B0019ZHDD2/ref=sr_1_24?crid=1I2R0KL6P345F&keywords=saxophone+neck+strap&qid=1642272371&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=saxophone+nec%2Cmi%2C229&sr=1-24

2 reasons I like this:
the string can be easily cut and shortened (make a knot then glue it)
the hook is thin material, and open (no snap)

Option: This is I have now: I make my own out of 3/4" wide sewing-shop elastic. Then make my own hook out of wire, like coat-hanger wire. I like the elastic effect just to take most, but not all the weight.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 11:49:29 AM »
In high school marching band I thought I was being extra macho by marching without a strap. I always wondered why my thumb always hurt all the time.

PS - nobody was impressed
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 01:15:27 PM »
The cheapest string-type strap is more than sufficient., like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rico-Strap-Alto-Soprano-Saxophone/dp/B0019ZHDD2/ref=sr_1_24?crid=1I2R0KL6P345F&keywords=saxophone+neck+strap&qid=1642272371&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=saxophone+nec%2Cmi%2C229&sr=1-24

2 reasons I like this:
the string can be easily cut and shortened (make a knot then glue it)
the hook is thin material, and open (no snap)

Option: This is I have now: I make my own out of 3/4" wide sewing-shop elastic. Then make my own hook out of wire, like coat-hanger wire. I like the elastic effect just to take most, but not all the weight.
I'll have to check the size of the loop on my thumb rest, although I could attach a key ring loop to it.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 10:13:37 AM »
Some shots of my thumb rest and ring. The ring is quite small so I would need to attach a key ring loop.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline windydankoff

• View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 02:39:33 PM »
Adding a keyring loop makes it awkward. A cheap sax strap with a thin, open metal hook should fit the ring just fine. The molded metal or plastic hooks are too thick. And for sure, you don't want a snap hook.

Offline kewald

• Old man learning new stuff!
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Shop
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 01:47:56 PM »
Two related topics:

I use a Jazzlab Harness for playing my Saxophone.  Takes the load off my neck.  Would likely work with a Clarinet, but is probably overkill.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012EAMM9U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have arthritis in my hands, and using a standard clarinet thumbrest is quite painful.  A neck strap might help, though I doubt it because there would still be quite a bit of pressure on the base joint of my thumb since the rest would still be resting between the tip and 1st joint.  So, I use a Ton Kooiman thumb rest, which has truly eliminated the pain.

https://www.tonkooiman.com/index.php/products/etude3

I've forgetten whare I bought the Etude thumb rest, but it is available in the USA.

Ken
Retired
Refurbishing Vintage Clarinets