Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Conn Clarinet  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Hdrew_123

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Conn Clarinet
« on: February 10, 2022, 02:06:56 PM »
Bought a Conn Clarinet for 40 bucks at a swapmeet a few years ago haven't played it yet. Serial number is C 29678, and the par that connects to the mouth piece has the letter C on it too. Strange ligature that I haven't seen on newer clarinets. Mouth piece cover doesn't look original to me. Has what I assume to be a holder for musical pieces, has the word ELTON on it. Mouthpiece sadly attached to the piece that connects it to the rest of the instrument, with cork padding very torn. The engraving on the bell doesn't have any words written on it so I assume that it could be a fake. Not much else that I know about it since I don't understand the serial numbers thing. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 02:42:59 PM by Hdrew_123 »

Offline Hdrew_123

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: Conn Clarinet
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 05:04:05 PM »
Picture of the case

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 07:47:46 PM »
I am uncertain whether the metal Conns also followed the conventional serial number progression, but if so, it puts yours at 1913.  That is right on the cusp for HP/LP instruments in the U.S., and it would be expected just as likely to be the former.
That said, you did not mention a HP stamp.  Conn DID briefly stamp LP, but I am not sure the reverse is true.
So, a C, you say?  Would you mind assembling it, and providing me with the measurement from the top of the barrel to the end of the bell?
Thanks for sharing that.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 07:49:47 PM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline Hdrew_123

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 08:26:07 PM »
After measuring it from mouthpiece to bell I got 2foot 2 inches or 26 inches. I also measured it from just the mouthpiece connecter if that's what you meant and It was 1 foot 11 inches or 23 inches in length. It has the C before the serial number but also a C on the mouthpiece connecter for some reason.

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 10:48:37 AM »
Hi Hdrew, welcome to the forum.

I don't think your clarinet is a Conn made instrument.

Those pointy keys cups and the "C" prefix for the serial number are indicative of a second line HN White (Cleveland) that was meant to be "Stenciled" with another Brand name.

It may not be at the level of Conn quality but still is a completely usable clarinet with some TLC.  I like the ligature that was included!
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline Hdrew_123

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 02:08:37 PM »
Thank you for the info. No wonder everything I looked up wound up being a dead end. I appreciate the responses and help.

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2022, 06:50:33 PM »
I agree with Airflyte - that looks like an H.N. White clarinet to me, and that serial would be from the second-line Cleveland sequence.

The published serial number chart for Cleveland isn't particularly good, but late 1920s would be my estimate for the age of your instrument.
Posted to the original The Clarinet Pages forum from my Power Macintosh 6100/60 using Netscape Navigatorâ„¢