Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Buffet Crampon Evette Schaeffer Master Model  (Read 205 times)

Offline andrew

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Buffet Crampon Evette Schaeffer Master Model
« on: August 08, 2022, 06:53:36 PM »
Is this model considered a professional clarinet? I had purchased one a long time ago for college, thinking I would be able to pick it up quickly. Boy, was I wrong. As it turns out, training myself to keep the tone holes covered was a LOT more difficult than I expected. I couldn't even play a simple melody because I could not keep the tone holes covered. I remember my clarinet instructor in college had told me that my clarinet was not a professional model; it's probably because I sounded so terrible on it. I had auditioned on a Selmer Bundy EEb Contralto Clarinet and was accepted on the spot. I was very good on this instrument, but when it came to playing the Bb Soprano, it was VERY different - which is not what I was prepared for. And I was expected to take lessons on the Bb Clarinet and perform a jury at the end of each semester. I had also played Alto Saxophone since the 4th grade and was much more proficient with that instrument than I was on the Bb Soprano Clarinet. But I was not nearly as adept as I was on the EEb Contralto Clarinet. Live and learn, I guess. Lately, I have been trying to get better on my Alto Sax.

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
Re: Buffet Crampon Evette Schaeffer Master Model
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 05:01:43 PM »
The E&S Master Model is often referred to as a "semi-pro" instrument - it isn't at the level of an R13 or other models marketed as "professional", but a step above the intermediate E&S non-Master Model (E-13). Buffet advertising implied that the Master Models were exceptionally good examples selected out of the regular E&S production.

I played an E&S Master Model many years ago. Too long ago to say anything about the tone now, but I find the keywork lacking both in design and with how soft the metal is.
Posted to the original The Clarinet Pages forum from my Power Macintosh 6100/60 using Netscape Navigatorâ„¢