Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dorn & Kirschner clarinet  (Read 133 times)

Offline Tommi

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Dorn & Kirschner clarinet
« on: December 05, 2022, 07:09:56 AM »
I have silverplated metal body clarinet with the text on its bell: " Dorn & Kirschner, Newark, N. J. "  I would be very happy to get any information concerning the manufacturer, the age, quality/ price of the instrument, etc. I am wondering if there is any idea to invest about 200 euros or more to repair the clarinet.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Dorn & Kirschner clarinet
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 03:34:15 PM »
I have not heard of that, but, generally, unless it's a Silver King, metal clarinets are worth less than $200 all-in, so it likely would not be worth the price.

Please post a picture, there's a possibility it could be special enough to be valuable
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2022, 12:03:01 PM »
Probably a dealer name.  Likely not worth it.  Good metal clarinets are H.N. White Silver Kings (and a few top of their Clevelands that look virtually identical), Bettony Silva-bets, Penzel Mueller Clari-mets, Haynes, Buescher, Selmer Paris, Buffet Crampon, some top level Frank Holton (with solid silver keywork, I have one), some Couesnon, Jerome Thibouville Lamy, some Noblet, top level C.G. Conn, top level Harry Pedler, Laube made stencils (not to be confused with P.X. Laube)  that come apart, and a few others that have tunable barrels, come apart, or a few other special models. These can be worth decent to big money and are worth restoring.
Student/generic are generally worthless, I would recommend doing it yourself if you are able as the only financial choice that makes sense.  If you just want to do it and have the money, why not, but I doubt there is any investment aspect.

Edit: Looked and yes, this was an important instrument dealer in Newark NJ, who had instruments made with their name.  Some saxes were made by good manufacturers, so there's some chance it could be something decent, at least.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 04:04:17 PM by modernicus »
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 01:13:54 PM »
There's a "rule" I've found where the more parts a metal clarinet comes apart into, the higher quality and higher price it will command.

There are one piece, two piece (come apart in the middle), and three piece (come apart at bell and two joints).
The real high end ones almost always come into three pieces.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States