Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Recent arrivals: Rampone unibody A, Martel Freres A+Bb pair  (Read 405 times)

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
Recent arrivals: Rampone unibody A, Martel Freres A+Bb pair
« on: April 07, 2023, 08:16:39 AM »
Well, I went and did it again- picked up some new additions to the collection.  Pics coming!  Rampone came sans barrel, loose repositioned thumbrest, dry and dirty, but otherwise solid. Martel Freres A is entirely hard rubber!  The Martel Bb is wood with a hard rubber barrel (marked with the MF crest, but not the regular logo, much blacker/glossier than the A, a later custom item for the original or early owner?).  Only one hack repair or damage on the Bb, otherwise solid.  Looks like they were played a fair bit, but well maintained.
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
Re: Recent arrivals: Rampone unibody A, Martel Freres A+Bb pair
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 06:54:48 PM »
Pics:  Martel Bb has Hard rubber barrel, marked!  A is all hard rubber, has metal sleeve in the center tenon- hmm, was this done later?  It's well done, the transition inside the bore is perfectly flush and one of the toneholes goes through it.  The LH pinky key post has been butchered on the Bb, don't do this!  The proper thing is to cut the key barrel/tube and hinge rod screw right next to the post if the screw is impossible to remove or it broke off.  You can always extend the tube to make up for the saw blade width.  I don't know if this nub can be grabbed on to and loosened - I doubt it?  Hopefully I would have a screw that would fit.  Maybe it's better left for a pro if it's truly, truly stuck.  Don't do this, though, there's no screw that I haven't been able to get out by oiling and heating!
Unfortunately the mouthpiece, well, you know the story.  If it wasn't broken, it would have been an absolutely great bonus to this set!  This is so typical, I'm used to it now.  A crystal had no chance, virtually, to make it 100 or so years, especially if it the case was pulled out of grandpa's closet and opened without even knowing what was in there.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 11:05:31 AM by modernicus »

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 03:30:07 PM »
Nice Martels. So both the Bb and the A are the same year of manufacture?
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 04:56:21 PM »
I have no idea!  No serial numbers.  Not even sure exactly how long they were in business or even remotely how many were made.  They came to me as this set and they look to be contemporaneous- interesting how the whole A and Bb barrel is hard rubber, while the Bb body and bell are wood.  Makes me lean towards thinking they were ordered at the same, despite the different body materials.  I don't believe I've heard of or seen another hard rubber Martel Freres.  I already got the screw loose and out of there on the Bb and found one that fits!  Now, to figure out what to do about the mangled post- though it's mainly a cosmetic issue, now.  No other large obstacles apparent to get these into playing shape.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 04:59:02 PM by modernicus »

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 01:31:33 PM »
Nice mouthpiece!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2023, 10:38:46 AM »
Wish it wasn't broken. 💔 Might be able to patch it up somehow, but that's low on the priority list.