Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: King Marigaux refurbish done, my thoughts.  (Read 295 times)

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
King Marigaux refurbish done, my thoughts.
« on: August 13, 2023, 07:58:50 PM »
Just got done refurbishing this one.  As I understand, King was a distributor for Marigaux between 1960 and the 1980s?  The keywork looks the part for that era.  Seems precisely made, has silver plated keys and very light- it's sort of more delicate overall than a typical Buffet Crampon.  No model number to be found. My thoughts so far- extremely responsive with a really pleasing tone.  Extremely fun to play. The tuning of the right hand notes in the low register are really sharp, typical of what you'd find on a large bore clarinet.  I haven't tried to measure the bore.  The rest of the tuning is basically only barely adequate, I'd say.  It seems to be fairly sensitive to mouthpieces in this regard. A few tweaks could still be made to bring some notes down a bit, but I think those notes would get fuzzy very quickly (given the experiment of closing some adjacent keys the tiniest bit while watching the tuner).  I can also "cover" slightly the nearby tone holes, with my fingers slightly above and achieve some OK success bringing some sharp notes down that way. Perhaps the best (and excellent tone!) was with the "block letter" Meliphone/ Charles Chedeville mouthpiece, though I don't want to play that one too much.  Another was an old, faded hard rubber mouthpiece where the marking is mostly worn away.  It didn't sound or respond quite as well, but was about equal on tuning, perhaps better in some ways, worse in others. The trusty G. Langenus sounds great and responds best, but maybe not quite as good tuning as the other two.  Pulling out about a millimeter at the barrel and center joint seems to work best.  All other mouthpieces I tried besides these so far, were a terrible match.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 08:21:43 PM by modernicus »
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: King Marigaux refurbish done, my thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 06:40:10 PM »
I there a photo posted that I am missing?  I'd love to see it.
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2023, 01:07:33 PM »
Oh, I'll post one...
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2023, 05:41:48 AM »
Interesting results! Thanks for letting us know. Some tweaks might help the intonation.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2023, 11:56:51 AM »
It's been a hot minute since I've handled any of the King S-M-L line, but the last one I had was great. Still regret getting rid of it :(
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Virginia Beach, Virginia