Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thoughts on current instrument market?  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on current instrument market?
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2024, 04:27:15 PM »
"Grab your own museum piece while the grabbing's good?

Honestly, it feels kinda scary.

And as rapidly as "A.I." seems to be taking over the visual arts, maybe we in the audio arts should be scared?"

Indeed.   

I do think that there will always be those who demand high quality mechanisms, but instead of those people being enthusiasts, as vast segments of our society move away from placing the same historical importance on performance arts, it may be just those focussed on a profession in the performing arts who require the skills of an artisan--which will reduce available inventory and simultaneously drive up the cost of quality goods. 

Let's face it--we live in a disposable society, where most folks cannot discern between quality and junk.  And even for a good many who may be able to tell the difference, "shiny, new and cheap" has outpaced "old, imperfect and masterfully hand-executed".
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
Re: Thoughts on current instrument market?
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2024, 07:38:56 PM »
Even for entry-level instruments the used market is dead. I'm sitting on piles of plastic and HR clarinets that I can't sell.

I had one almost sold last month, then an hour before I was going to meet the buyer she tells me she "ended up purchasing a new clarinet". This was a '60s Bundy Resonite with a full mechanical overhaul I had listed for $220 - the only thing she could've possibly found new at a comparable price would be absolute garbage, but because it's new it must be better, right?
Posted to the original The Clarinet Pages forum from my Power Macintosh 6100/60 using Netscape Navigatorâ„¢