Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help with Donated Clarinet  (Read 329 times)

Offline Swamplander

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Help with Donated Clarinet
« on: April 05, 2024, 02:37:39 PM »
I am a band director and just received a horn from a community member. I’m trying to find out more about it. The bell and barrel say Jérôme Thibouville Lamy.

Pics attached

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Donated Clarinet
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 05:12:11 PM »
That is a gem!  It's dry as a bone, and desperately needs several treatments of oil, but what a fascinating clarinet.

It appears to be a clarinet of collaborative efforts (as the top joint is stamped R. Verney and Wurlitzer, and the bottom is a JTL, so a brokered import deal).  I cannot make out the word before "Republic", but that is an honest 110-120 year old clarinet, and rather uncommon.
JTL made exceptional quality horns, and I have had a couple that were both excellent, given the time period in which they were made.

The one characteristic that fascinates me about this one, (and that I have never seen before in this configuration), is the Crow's Foot alternative for the pinky cluster on the lower joint.  I would love to see how that works exactly.

What are you looking to do with it? 

Thanks for sharing!

See below link for reference:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/123799428633?itmmeta=01HTRFXHNAQ7SM3XHAP5FK83EY&hash=item1cd3055e19:g:cVgAAOSwXVpdAEdD&itmprp=enc%3AAQAJAAAA0M0RLYhNomlqH2oGgptPrATMdNWlnzmdRbQdbCURgNXupmd5mlMxv9jYTTd47PmAMn0wVkFMPsYkVLmi%2BoqQU4AdwA25dkYUvKosNPJZ6hZDdj0D3qO1ASUZMIp5nzmbCXVlV%2FGRYc55GBy%2FKMLqUtCHkIMOagTK4KJG0Kf%2Fd2dm02OmW7YIVRGWP2MmRC00bC%2B3kYurrFHz7SijMKsM9jjCQulQRgyCatSztB7fK1B1iJFbOQz7N80Ql1aCcXrkxnPuR8kcHB3BmcEkjSbBQ9E%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR9qa9o_WYw
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 06:33:55 PM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline Swamplander

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 06:45:56 PM »
I’m probably going to get it restored to playing condition and use it as a teacher horn.

Offline ghoulcaster

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 08:28:13 PM »
A lot of those early JTL clarinets are high pitch but this one is clearly stamped LP.
Throat A screw so unlikely to be older than 1910 IMO.
It looks to have a cool old fashioned single screw ligature and an O’brien mouthpiece.
Those can be really great if the tip isn’t chipped (they are pretty fragile).

Windsong - the crow’s foot alternative seems to be a straightforward application of the Bercioux patent:
https://patents.google.com/patent/US750935A/en

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 09:56:33 AM »
Thank you, Ghoulcaster!  Very cool.  I grew interested in this feature in its different forms, as a result of Harry Pedler's "Appliance", and this patent date of 1904 preceeds Pedler's design.  You're correct about the adjustment at G#/A, so a better guess would be pre 1925. I've not seen an LP designation past the early 1920s, as it became assumed.

Swamplander--I think that is an excellent idea.  This is probably a very sweet horn, and is quite unusual for a number of reasons.  The general condition seems to be good, and the keywork looks fully intact.  I agree it is worth a full restoration.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 02:11:50 PM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 10:25:46 AM »
Suuuper cool. I always liked JTL, they tended to use some really nice wood that really pops with gorgeous grain and lovely colors. Throw some oil and polish a bit and that thing's going to be beautiful.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Virginia Beach, Virginia