Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrift shop finds  (Read 269 times)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Thrift shop finds
« on: September 29, 2023, 04:22:51 PM »
I have literally never had any luck finding woodwind instruments for reasonable prices at any thrift shop.

Finally, this week, I found three:
$75 for a Vito bass in rather poor condition. However, it came with what appears to be a new Yamaha 4C mouthpiece, and the case is impeccable. An easy $150 in value just in the mouthpiece and the case.

$50 for a Buescher 20A alto sax. Great shape, slight bend in the bell though. Came with a rather new-looking Selmer Goldentone 3 mouthpiece. It needs a few adjustments in the lower stack, but that's probably a $200 instrument for $50.

$10 for an antique violin of some sort. It is a Stradivarius copy, and is stamped "Conservatory Violin" on the neck. I couldn't find any maker's mark, but there is an antique repair tag inside - repaired by *some guy* based in Washington, D.C., in 1936. So, it's at least from 1936, and considering that the repair was a lateral crack, and it doesn't appear to have been dropped or abused, I would imagine it's a very early 20th century piece.
It's missing the tailpiece, chinrest, bridge, pegs, and strings - it's a bare body. However, I just need to buy these individual pieces and I should have a nice 100-year old violin for less than $100 after I buy some cheap parts. Nice.

The gods finally answered my call for cheap instruments at the thrift!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
Re: Thrift shop finds
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2023, 07:46:06 PM »
Good deals!

My last find was an Epiphone SG guitar for $99. Typical SG neck dive but plays well.  :)
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Thrift shop finds
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2023, 04:20:51 PM »
Airflyte:  An Epi SG for 99 bucks is a steal.  I played an Epi SG EB-3 bass for a while and miss it to this day.

Dave:  great finds--all, but that violin has me especially interested.  10 bucks?!  A 87 year old repair tag?  You could he holding a very valuable instrument, there, even if it is not made by a notable shop.  Have it valuated at Calamus Music in Norfolk.  They will at least tell you the truth.

It was a good week for me, as well.  I bought the curious Harry Pedler bell, and it came with a very early H. Freeman (Buffet stencil) upper and lower joint in beautiful shape.
Then, my friend gave me an "old clarinet" he got at a yard sale for 6 bucks.  It was an all original 1948-1950 pre-classic G. LeBlanc in equally fantastic shape. It has a very small bore at 14.55 mm, so it's not one I will likely keep, but one I will have fun restoring, just the same.  (More on that one later.)

Here's to more weeks like these!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 05:17:25 PM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.