Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help me identify this old Buffet Crampon clarinet...  (Read 232 times)

Offline mobaar

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Help me identify this old Buffet Crampon clarinet...
« on: October 01, 2023, 09:33:51 AM »
Hello everyone,

I'll admit from the get-go: I am a trumpet player. I apologize in advance for wading into your world :)

My son is 14 and has been playing clarinet for 3 years. He loves music (I majored in music and was a professional/studio musician for several years in a previous life, so maybe it runs in the family?) and has been gradually improving. He plays a Buffet Crampon E11, an older 90's model. It works fine, just had its latest tune-up and pad replacement, and is otherwise no impedance whatsoever on his ability to improve. Since he's starting to take it seriously, I've started looking into the world of higher model clarinets, occasionally searched for great deals on professional model Yamaha and Buffet clarinets, but not pulled the trigger on anything. We had an event at our local music shop where students can try out the highest level professional instruments, and my son was impressed at how easy it was to get good tone and how free-blowing the higher level ones were. So there's interest there in moving up.

Fast forward to yesterday. I was at a local pawn shop where I saw 2 clarinets for sale. One was marked Buffet Crampon E11 (and that was easy to identify) and the other was marked "YAMAHA CLARINET." I checked it out and immediately saw the Buffet Crampon logo, but no markings for a model. It was obviously a wood model, looked older, and it seemed like it was tarnished silver, so I started to get excited that I may have found something good. Knowing the asking price and figuring I could easily resell it for at least the same amount, and hopeful to have found a good next step for my son, I brought it home. It definitely needs a full work-up at a repair shop, and has obviously had repairs in the past. I actually consider that a good thing -- no reasonable person would spend a ton of money on repairing a bad instrument. There are obvious signs of cracking toward the top, where it was repaired (but not leveled, which I found odd). The register key appears to have a metal insert in the tone hole, which I don't know if that's normal.

I took pictures of everything I could. The serial number of 184XXX places it in 1978, but the model eludes me. I'm hopeful this is an R-13 but I have not gotten my hopes up yet. Plus it is obviously in disrepair and might not be worth salvaging. I'm sending out an appeal here to this group to see if you can help me identify this and let me know if you think it's worth repairing back to like-new. Thank you all!

PS -- also included a picture of the Gigliotti mouthpiece and unknown ligature. My son plays on a Premiere by Hite. Not sure if this is a step up either?

~Mo

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Help me identify this old Buffet Crampon clarinet...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2023, 04:22:20 PM »
Please see my Buffet identification guide here:

https://clarinetpages.info/smf/index.php?topic=1676.0

From the looks of it, might just be a 1970s or so R13. An astounding find at at thrift shop. However, I do see several repaired cracks on the upper joint, which can seriously detract the value. Either way, you should make a few bucks.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2023, 04:32:41 PM »
I agree with Dave, It's an R-13. :)

Anthony Gigliotti mouthpieces are hit or miss. Mostly misses.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline mobaar

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2023, 06:35:17 PM »
Please see my Buffet identification guide here:

https://clarinetpages.info/smf/index.php?topic=1676.0

From the looks of it, might just be a 1970s or so R13. An astounding find at at thrift shop. However, I do see several repaired cracks on the upper joint, which can seriously detract the value. Either way, you should make a few bucks.

Dave,

Yes, and THANK YOU! Because I used your identification guide to help me get a good look at it before deciding to take it home. I didn't see any major red flags that it was a lower-end instrument so I decided to take the chance.

You're correct, it definitely has had some work. But I'm not after a buck -- I'm hoping to get this thing back up to working condition and in the hands of my eager 14 year-old so he can use it for a long time.

Thank you to you and Airflyte both for giving this a quick look-over and helping me assess what it might be.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2023, 11:37:18 AM »
Boy, a 14 year old with an R-13? Talk about starting them off well!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline mobaar

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 09:43:09 PM »
Boy, a 14 year old with an R-13? Talk about starting them off well!
Ha, thanks, it is nice to know already that he really enjoys what he's doing, auditions for state bands, etc., so it's worth the investment.

On the other hand, I did find this clarinet at my local pawn shop for $50, so it's hard to think I could do any better at that price point :)

Thanks again for your help! I'll share some "after" pictures once it's fully repaired!

~Mo