Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Back from the dead  (Read 229 times)

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Back from the dead
« on: October 19, 2023, 09:19:11 PM »
Weekend before last, I received a clarinet that an old friend found at a flea market for chump change.  He had no idea what he'd grabbed, but the preliminary photo got me excited.  It had been fitted with the wrong thumb rest, and an unsoldered key needed repair or replacement. (I lucked out on a rather sad but intact key from a prominent ebayer.  After a full spa day, the key looked too good for the others.
Allegedly, this clarinet survived a whole year, outside (in the broken case), in a chicken coop.  The wood was thirsty, but I have seen far worse.  The body was outstanding with no discernable damage or prior repairs, but the pads were revolting and the wood had grown some fuzz.  Remarkable what Murhpy's, orange oil, and almond oil can do.  Been a few years since I've done a resto.  Lack of practice hurts technique, but by gum--I still love to do them. 
Before and after:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 09:23:15 PM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
Re: Back from the dead
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 09:51:57 AM »
Wow! Excellent work.
Posted to the original The Clarinet Pages forum from my Power Macintosh 6100/60 using Netscape Navigatorâ„¢

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2023, 08:37:40 PM »
Thanks, Rocket.  And now, the tricky bit of pad floating and regulation-a loathsome task. 

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2023, 07:12:50 AM »
Neat story. Great work. Someone will love it!

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 08:06:55 PM »
Phil,
Thank you.  I have a middle-aged aspiring friend with aspirations and natural musical talent.  He is an accomplished guitarist, and has superb rythm, a great ear, quick fingers and a racing creative brain.  When I last visited he was honking on a CSO that he had just purchased for 8 dollars, after I showed him how to mount a reed. 

I told him that when I returned, I would replace it with something worthy of his time.  At this point, I am torn between sending this one on to him, or another restoration I began this week on what I believe to be a Pre R13 stencil.  If he wants to be good, he will be very good, so it behooves me to ensure he has a decent horn.