Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I perceive a possible need for orthodontics.  (Read 224 times)

Offline kurth83

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
I perceive a possible need for orthodontics.
« on: October 25, 2023, 02:41:19 PM »
I have a lower front tooth that sticks out, it makes playing in the upper register noticeably more painful as I am admittedly biting a little bit.

I already scheduled a dentist appointment as the teeth have sharp edges created by the many years of wear.  But I think a straight lower row of front teeth will also help, so am considering orthodontics too.

I am guessing I am not the first person to do this so I thought I would ask here.

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
Re: I perceive a possible need for orthodontics.
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 05:26:37 PM »
Some people have places a small folded piece of paper over their lower teeth. This smoothes the sharp edges.

I think a good embouchure needs some pressure on the reed (for most people), and I put quite a lot of pressure on the reed. But it is best if it is not all biting (vertical pressure) but pressure at an angle, as the clarinet is pulled down, acting like a fulcrum.

Offline kurth83

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 10:41:17 PM »
Thanks for that, my front tooth sticking out definitely presses into an embouchure like you describe, so I don't think I am doing anything majorly wrong.  As my embouchure develops I am managing to get by with less pressure, but I think I want that tooth fixed anyway at this point.

I am hoping one of the removable retainer like devices will be enough to correct the single tooth.  Will maybe find out next week from my dentist.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 01:26:44 PM »
Please keep us posted! I'm sure this is more common of an issue that you think.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline kurth83

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2023, 09:43:42 PM »
I had the first round today, where they refinished my front teeth and smoothed all the rough edges.  They did a fantastic job, I've been lucky with them as they appear to do first-rate work, which was part of the reason I decided to do this.

It only helped my clarinet playing a little bit, but was a surprisingly larger improvement for the trumpet playing.

They have an orthodontist in the office and he looked at my lower front tooth that sticks out (this one hurts the clarinet playing more), and he said they can fix it with the kind of braces that are like a retainer you wear for 22 hrs a day.

I told him I practiced up to 2 hours a day and he was like I would have to keep it down to 2 hrs including eating.  I think that will be tough, and it will be closer to 21 hrs a day (my days vary though, so some days it will be 22 hrs no problem), we'll see if that will work.  Fingers crossed.  Starting the orthodontics next January.

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2023, 06:02:57 AM »
I think you'll be glad that you follow their advice. After that season, you'll be able to play more hours a day!