Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Buffet B16 Clarinet ?  (Read 654 times)

Offline cchange21

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Buffet B16 Clarinet ?
« on: December 30, 2023, 11:39:52 AM »
Hello All!

I am new here. I am interested in this used clarinet that is for sell, but I am intrigued by the fact it says it's a Buffet B16. I thought in late 2016, Buffet Prodige and Buffet Premium has replaced Buffet B12 and B10 models of student clarinets, did Buffet continue to make B16? I was told the item has Made in Germany and a serial # on it.
- Is this a genuine item made by Buffet in Germany or a fake?

Any feedback is really appreciated.

Thank you very much!

Happy New Year!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Buffet B16 Clarinet ?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 03:26:36 AM »
Everything looks wrong with this.

From the top:

The material looks wrong. Buffet doesn't make fake wood-grain like what appears to be the case here. This is a feature of many Chinese clarinets.
The logo looks wrong. Buffet logos have a very specific look to them. The transfer-stamp is not that bright, and the devices are not that thick.
The serial number looks wrong. The font type used here is extremely non-standard, and the location is also not where you'd expect.
The case looks wrong. Although I'm sure it's a nice case, this is not a standard Buffet case that I know of.

Overall, this appears to be a counterfeit Chinese clarinet. No idea if the quality of the instrument itself is good or not, but you should NOT purchase this for the simple reason that it is almost certainly a counterfeit product.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline el gitano

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 07:57:05 AM »

Hi,
¿¿A Buffet Crampon B16 ??
like this
https://es.aliexpress.com/item/1005004268378373.html
Claus

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2024, 10:25:48 PM »
I would never buy anything from Aliexpress, especially when it comes to musical instruments.
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline brigaltman

• Woodwind Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 06:40:14 PM »
It never fails to amaze me that these Chinese companies copy instrument right down to the logos. I'm not sure what the answer is other than to stay as far away from the CHEAP, poor copies of quality instruments.
SW Michigan Clarinets

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 02:55:39 AM »
I'd glad you guys can see the difference because I wouldn't have a clue. I didn't know there even was such a thing as a B16!
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2024, 01:50:40 AM »
Brigaltman, the Chinese (thus far), have had a really tough time getting the FONT on logos correct. This is because the graphic design software they use simply doesn't have the right proprietary font styles to fit the actual brand name logo. They could probably hand-draw the fonts if they wanted to get it perfect, but they simply don't.

The ink that Buffet uses on their logos uses a technique whereby the color wears off easily, but changes the chemical composition of the plastic enough so that the "ghost" of the stamp is always visible. Possibly some caustic chemical is used in addition to the ink, or the stamp is added while the plastic is still warm from molding.
The Chinese use a surface transfer-stamp that is brighter and has better staying power, but when it wears off, it is gone entirely - the ink lays directly on top of the surface and does not bond with the material.

Also, the serial number stamps they use are pretty poor, and do not match "real" serial number stamps. This is almost certainly because a real French (or otherwise) clarinet uses a a sort of hand-stamp of sorts, where the numbers are physically pressed into the plastic (or wood) after or during production. The Chinese tend to stick with a laser engraving technique that simply cannot match the fidelity of a manual stamp.

A trademark of counterfeiters the world over is that they will expend the minimal amount of effort to ape an object. To an untrained eye they might look good, but that's why you need an expert (like me, haha)!

Virginia Beach, Virginia