Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fly Me to the Moon  (Read 732 times)

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
Fly Me to the Moon
« on: January 04, 2024, 02:34:19 AM »
Picking up the clarinet after a while away from it, with an old favourite.
Despite not having played fir ages it  seemed so...easy. Its like it's trying to tell me that THIS is the instrument I should be focusing on. But it's the break that puts me off. I just can't see how to do that smoothly, so I stick with the chalumeau range...and then feel a bit annoyed because I'm only playing half of the instrument.
Best wishes for 2024 everyone!

https://youtu.be/E4l_WJHxGws?si=0xGsUqoi6zxnalF6
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Fly Me to the Moon
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 07:21:45 PM »
Well played, Larry.  Good timing there, and your breath control has improved, I see.  If I may, try to "smile through your embouchure".  Imagine threads at the edges of your mouth being pulled up.  This should perk your lips and draw in your cheeks, opposite a trumpet player's, or even saxophonist's technique, for that matter.  Your embouchure will ache for a week of daily practice  but you will find the ability to control tone much improved.
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2024, 05:25:27 PM »
I notice you are using a Rovner ligature.  How do you like it?
I am a bit of a traditionalist, but I recently succumbed to a Rovner Dark, and I will admit that I rather like it.  It is much easier to fit a reed against, and the single large thumbscrew is handy.

I especially like how they are more gentle to a MP.

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 05:58:49 AM »
I notice you are using a Rovner ligature.  How do you like it?
I am a bit of a traditionalist, but I recently succumbed to a Rovner Dark, and I will admit that I rather like it.  It is much easier to fit a reed against, and the single large thumbscrew is handy.

I especially like how they are more gentle to a MP.
Its actually a BG lig. Don't really know much about them. Its just a ligature
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!

Offline delb0y

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 11:58:43 PM »
Picking up the clarinet after a while away from it, with an old favourite.
Despite not having played fir ages it  seemed so...easy. Its like it's trying to tell me that THIS is the instrument I should be focusing on. But it's the break that puts me off. I just can't see how to do that smoothly, so I stick with the chalumeau range...and then feel a bit annoyed because I'm only playing half of the instrument.

Hey Larry, I know you've been playing a long time and are still put off by the break. One idea is to separate the idea of the break into two things:

1) Crossing the break
2) Playing above the break

i.e. You could learn to play above the break, and enjoy "the other half" of the instrument very easily. There's really very little difference in fingering. Just do that without worrying about the actual crossing. Once you're used to playing up there (i.e suggestion #2 above) then I think you'll eventually do #1 naturally without thinking about it.

So I'd recommend just playing some of the scales and tunes that you already do up in that range.

Derek

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2024, 09:58:00 AM »
Good points.
Also, to all those who struggle to cross the break efficiently, myself included, it is a good practice to put your right hand fully down BEFORE crossing the break,  on Open G, and at the latest on A. 

Some clarinets allow one to place the right hand fully down, as low as F#, but below that, distortion and stuffiness will occur.