Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pre R13 Stencil?  (Read 744 times)

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Pre R13 Stencil?
« on: January 10, 2024, 09:31:55 PM »
It appears to be common knowledge that Buffet Crampon seldom if ever made stencils.  And why would a premier French clarinet manufacturer want to share their quality with...well, common stock.

A few months ago, I bought an H. FREEMAN clarinet for--believe it or not--the Harry Pedler "HP" bell alone.

Not having any information on the Stencil, I went in search on "that other clarinet forum", after coming up short, here.

A prominent member of their community mentioned that the early Pre-M100 H. FREEMAN models were actually stenciled by BC, known now among the Pre R13.

Whether or not this is the case I cannot say.  I can say that mine has a low serial, and is very well mechanized.

If there is any truth to the aforementioned claim, this may also be one of them.  A message to the seller confirmed the wording in the banner as "Made in France".  Odd for a clarinet named after a professional clarinettist, Harold Freeman from New York...who also happened to be a Buffet dealer...hmmm.
You be the judge...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115893826052?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=26&ch=osgood&euid=0305eb2e1c954adda0737dcd9021e835&bu=43208945403&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20240108134222&segname=11051
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Pre R13 Stencil?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 02:21:14 AM »
I think a keywork comparison from a contemporary Buffet, as well as comparing the exact location and font of the MADE IN FRANCE stamp can go a long way towards an attribution.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 07:16:33 PM »
Here are photos of mine, Dave.  Please forgive their stripped-down condition.  I have cleaned and oiled the body, but the springs need work, so I have not yet repadded it.  The "Made In France" stamp is rather plain, and not in a banner on mine.  Perhaps you see something definitive.

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 07:24:47 PM »
More

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2024, 09:45:59 AM »
Well the font style of the serial number does seem to match a Buffet, and so does the center ring. I wonder if this enough enough to make a solid attribution though. I feel like I'd need a decent dataset to make that assumption.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2024, 04:45:18 PM »
That would be best, of course, but your initial assessment is helpful, and with two more prominent names having chimed in on that other forum's thread to confirm, it is curious, and may mean that in another 10 Years or so, prices of these H. FREEMANs will take off.
Now I am even more eager to get it reassembled!