Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Boosey and Hawkes Regent clarinet  (Read 177 times)

Offline Jumpingjacks21

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Boosey and Hawkes Regent clarinet
« on: January 12, 2024, 02:34:32 PM »
I’ve recently received my dads clarinet ( he was a military bandsman) I’m trying to find out more about it, it’s a Boosey and Hawkes Regent the only number I can find on it is 312670 any ideas where I can find out about it please
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 12:17:59 PM by Jumpingjacks21 »

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Boosey and Hawkes Regent clarinet
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 09:03:54 PM »
Welcome!
The B&H Regents can be good, and the fact that this was your father's and he was a player bodes well for the notion that you have a good one.  In the late 40s and into the mid 1950s, some of their keywork was horrific.  It was Mazak keywork, if I recall correctly.   It was easily damaged, and really could not be rebent, as it was made of chrome plated "pot-metal". Reginald Kell--a world renound B&H player had his own keywork designed on the B&H platform, and it was exceptionally strong, well conceived and sculpted and durable.  Your serial number places it either as a newer-than-1985 model (Adams), or a 1968 model (Gavin Dixon and Neil Raj, 1library.net).  My money is on the latter of the two, as these fellows have done a considerable amount of documented research.
I have had three B&Hs, and still have my 2-20, which was "my daily" for years, and is likely very similar to your Regent. It is solid, tough as nails, and well sorted. Generally speaking, I like B&H very much.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 10:01:05 PM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.