Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Frank Holton Collegiate Unibody (Not metal!)  (Read 72 times)

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Frank Holton Collegiate Unibody (Not metal!)
« on: February 17, 2024, 05:12:36 PM »
I find myself in possession of the above.  It is a wholly original, fully intact Student model instrument with a Hard Rubber chassis that looks to have been set out in the Arizona sunshine a time or two, and soft keywork that is ergonomically friendly, but prone to damage more readily if not cautiously handled, yet there is decent nickel silver under the cheap plating.
It curiously boasts designs from the 1920s, despite the fact that it was allegedly made in 1952. 

I bought it because I wanted to examine the unibody bridge key.  Looks right out of a 1918-1920 Harry Pedler playbook, but it is decidedly not his--just very similar. 
This would make a very unique lamp, I think. 

EDIT:  The alleged 1952 dating appears to be potentially inaccurate, as there is no delineation between types of instruments and the serial numbers among the lists I have found.

The thumbrest tells me it was made after WWII (and I removed it make sure it was not covering the routed pocket for an earlier style), but the single post for the lower trills, and the lack of upper joint trill key guides were abandoned by the late 30s by most manufacturers.  Holton clarinets were allegedly stenciled by a few manufacturers, and info is once again scarce.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 11:32:15 AM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Re: Frank Holton Collegiate Unibody (Not metal!)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2024, 01:12:17 AM »
I have to say this is probably the first time I've seen a single post for the LH pinky keys on any clarinet post-WWII. Did Frank just have a warehouse of antiquated keys just hanging around since before the Depression??
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Holton Collegiate Unibody (Not metal!)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2024, 06:45:35 AM »
It is indeed bizarre.  This was not a high-quality clarinet, but it has its place in clarinet history.
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.