Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jeffrey vs Selmer Paris 9*  (Read 1018 times)

Offline Fotogravinnetje

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Jeffrey vs Selmer Paris 9*
« on: January 24, 2024, 06:49:16 AM »
I could use your input. First of all: I really like my Jeffrey. But to keep it that way it seems I need to pay about €400. The other option is to buy a fully revised 1974 Selmer Paris 9* for about €700. Is it worth the drive to try that Selmer (with the intention to buy if I like the way it plays and sounds)? Or am I better off keeping my Jeffrey? What are your thoughts?

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
Re: Jeffrey vs Selmer Paris 9*
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 03:49:06 PM »
A little search on the internet. The top entry starts with
"The Jeffrey was the entry-level wooden clarinet offered by Leblanc in the mid-1960s."
Some other results say that the Jeffrey was out of tune with itself.

I have never reviewed a Jeffrey at clarinetpages.net.
This forum has some glowing words about the Jeffrey that someone got for $25, here:
https://clarinetpages.info/smf/index.php?topic=1497.0

I am also confused as to whether the Selmer is the old Selmer Series 9 from the 1960s or if Paris 9* is a new model.

Personally, I would bet the Selmer would be better.
You guys who commented before, please help!

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 05:19:06 PM »
I had an excellent Jeffrey.  (I'd like it back, actually!)  It had top quality post locks, individual trill posts, clean, sturdy (if a bit odd) keywork, and extremely nice wood. Tone and intonation were good, with the typical mono-cylindrical intonation issues, but nothing alarming.  It was an intermediate clarinet with pro features.  Personally, if you love that Jeffrey, you will probably restore it at some point anyway.  If you do it now, you will save some cash and not have to learn a new fingering feel.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2024, 05:46:27 PM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2024, 06:59:04 AM »
I had a Jeffrey years ago. The impression that I still remember from it was that it felt like a decent Noblet or Normandy, which makes sense since it was distributed by LeBlanc. It shouldn't cost you 400 quid for a restoration though, that seems quite excessive unless the thing is a basket case.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline Fotogravinnetje

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 12:11:07 AM »
Thank you for your responses.
It needs a new barrel, which is close to €200, and it needs a major revision, so that's why it's close to €400.
I've decided to go and try the Selmer later this week and make a choice after that. When I bought the Jeffrey I didn't anticipate to be in a harmony anytime soon. But I did join one lately and I love it. Now I hope the Selmer has a sound that'll blend better with the rest of the clarinets. The Jeffrey isn't too bad, but it could be better, especially in the clarion register. The chalumeau register is excellent. I've found a clip on YouTube with the 9* and it seems it can provide the sound I'm looking for, not only in the chalumeau but also in the clarion register. So I'm really looking forward to get it myself! The Jeffrey will remain my backup horn of I decide to buy that Selmer. The Kohlert can go 😉

Offline Squeaky

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2024, 12:00:46 AM »
The Selmer 9 Star can be a lovely instrument.  By all means, go test it out.  Take careful notice of intonation tendencies when you do.  If you encounter faulty intonation while playing it with your favorite mouthpiece, test it with a different model of known-good mouthpiece.

Don't spend 200 Euro on an aftermarket barrel for a Jeffrey.  It likely will result in wide twelfths and other tuning faults which may be serious.  Used Jeffrey barrels can be hard to find, but since your Jeffrey was built using Normandy parts, get a used wooden Normandy barrel.  Any wooden Normandy barrel with shield logo and serif typeface will match your Jeffrey perfectly.  A Noblet barrel with the diamond logo will also work.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 06:53:37 AM »
A beat-up old Normandy should cost you around $60. Grab the barrel off it, and then you've just spend $60 for a barrel and a basket of parts. Much better than 200
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline Fotogravinnetje

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 10:38:44 PM »
Thanks for those suggestions!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2024, 01:52:17 AM »
If you're like me and do this consistently for 10 years, then you've got a shed full of parts and enough barrels to fit just about anything.
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline Fotogravinnetje

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2024, 12:31:25 PM »
Today we finally went to try the Selmers (they had 3) and I also could try a crampon buffet E-13. To begin with that last one: although it played easyb with a nice sound, it was way out of tune. So that was a big no no. Then the 3 Selmers, two from 1974, that were nice, but not impressive, and both quite flat. Both standard 17/6. And then there was the 1977 with articulated C#/G#. Nicely in tune, lovely sound, just (as expected) a bit more resistance to play than I've got used to with the Jeffrey. More like the Kohlert I started with 9 months ago. Not a problem for me, I just need to put in some work to get used to it and work with it. So I bought it 😁 Of course I'll need some time to get used to the new feel. The holes are a bit wider, so I need to be more precise with my fingering, but that's okay: I realized I've got a bit lazy in my fingering. But in all nothing I can't get used to in relatively short period. I know about the limitations (and the bonuses) of having that articulated C#/G#, and luckily I never used the 'long' altissimo F, so no problem with suddenly not be able to use that fingering anymore.
@Dave, I'm afraid my husband will resist if I'm planning to keep so many parts. We just moved houses last year and got rid of most things that were just laying around. In this house we don't have that much space to collect stuff... Even keeping the Jeffrey he was like  ??? Really? Okay, but what are you going to do with the Kohlert? So the Kohlert will go to someone to have fun with it

Offline Fotogravinnetje

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 03:05:16 AM »
Did my normal practice this morning. I noticed after some getting used to the new fingering feel I can make some changes between notes more easily. It feels a bit more natural to me. It will help me to play more quickly and fluently in the long run, I think. The added resistance feels like a difference of 0.5 in heavier reed (and I was already contemplating going up in strength again), so I do feel my mouth muscles now, but it's not making the horn hard to play. Just need a little bit more effort. I'm loving the sound of it! Of course I've get to used to the new intonation. My Jeffrey tended to be flat in the throat tones, this one is leaning towards sharp. With the middle B and C it's just the other way around  ;D I've to adjust them by about the same amount, but on different notes. I'll get it right in the next few weeks, I reckon. It was already better at the end of this first session. Did I already mention how I love the sound? Nicely dark and round and clear
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 03:07:42 AM by Fotogravinnetje »

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2024, 03:04:54 PM »
I am pleased to hear your enthusiasm.  Often, a horn change will do that.  Glad the Selmer is sorted and challenging you.  That is, largely, what it is all about.
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.