Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Pedler Trophy  (Read 372 times)

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Pedler Trophy
« on: January 29, 2024, 05:12:42 PM »
As most of you are aware, while I do have some MBIC Pedler clarinets, my primary focus has always been those of Harry Pedler, pre-1931.
A couple of weeks ago, I saw a Pedler Trophy pop up, and it looked super clean.  It looked original and seldom played, kept safe for 70 years.  The Trophy was apparently Martin's last burst of oxygen into the Pedler name, and I will say--it is quite impressive.  The wood is among the best I have seen on any clarinet, the logos are clear and gilded, and the serial number, low.  The keywork is not especially to my liking but not because the keys are not well made.  They are well sculpted and attractive, but ergonomically, the sliver keys are wrong for me, and I hit them when I play.  A minor criticism, but something that I do not want to have to navigate/adapt to at this late stage in the game  (Note the LeBlanc style trill keys on the top joint.).  The horn seems robust and dense, and generally very well conceived, and the case is rather adorable, too.  I won't be keeping it, most likely, but felt I needed to lay my hands on one at some point, as they are rather scarce.  A professional resto on this would yield great results, I think, and the crack-free body is just exceptional.  I believe the pads and some of corks to be original, and I think I may be the 2nd person to open the case in the last 50 years.  There is no discernable wear or tarnish on the heads of the post screws,  which is unusual.
 Truthfully, this belongs in the Smithsonian, but you can see it here, first:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 05:11:52 AM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
Re: Pedler Trophy
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 01:48:01 PM »
This doesn't happen to be the one that just sold on eBay last week from a seller in New Hampshire, does it?
Posted to the original The Clarinet Pages forum from my Power Macintosh 6100/60 using Netscape Navigator™

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 02:24:25 PM »
Yes indeed.

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 03:43:18 PM »
I'm glad it was you who got it, then. The seller sent me a reduced price for it but it was sold by the time I got online.
Posted to the original The Clarinet Pages forum from my Power Macintosh 6100/60 using Netscape Navigator™

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 04:58:57 PM »
Aah.  Well, I'll be darned.  You have an open offer of first refusal for what I have in it (which ain't much).  I just really wanted to see what one was like.  It's not an R13, nor is it a Harry Pedler full boehm with all the whistles, but Martin did the name a noble service by producing a high quality horn at the end, if for no other reason than honor.  It's a bit of a trite name, but it provides what it purports.  This one is serialed as T3521, and I believe the trophy script to be original.  It was not stamped, but rather carefully penned over the engraved logo. 

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 07:01:43 PM »
My motivation was also just to see what it's like. Ever since I bought a pair of Pedlers (a wood Premier and a metal American) for $25 each at a lumberyard, I've been going down this rabbit hole trying to learn about them. That, and I prefer Martin saxophones, so the tie-in there is part of the intrigue.

I'll keep that in mind, though. I do buy too many things purely for being affordable and interesting (just last week I bought an Armstrong 4000 for the sole purpose of confirming if it's as much of a Conn 16N as it appears to be) but a top-of-the-line wood Pedler is a bit more special than what I usually work on.

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2024, 01:48:47 PM »
I love it.  Well, it's good to know I'm not alone in pursuits most will never care to understand.  We're historians, man! 😁
This one has had a nice drink of bore oil, and wouldn't take some of it!  That tells me it's never been allowed to dry out, and it wasn't played much, as routine swabbing of a well played clarinet takes the oil out, too.  The case makes a good "case" for the notion that this one spent decades under a bed on some soft shag carpet. 
(So...is that Armstrong 4000 a Conn16N?)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 01:50:35 PM by Windsong »

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2024, 06:56:57 AM »
That truly is a LOVELY piece! I especially like the clear trophy logo. Only prettier logo I've seen is the Noblet Laureate.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Virginia Beach, Virginia

Offline 350 Rocket

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 02:30:39 PM »

(So...is that Armstrong 4000 a Conn16N?)
It is in nearly every way. Armstrong switched the wraparound mechanism for the thumb ring to a conventional one, but otherwise, they're the same instrument. Same bore geometry, same keywork save for the aforementioned change. There were a couple other slight keywork differences I noticed but nothing that couldn't be chalked up to the kind of minor tweaks most anything would have over a production run.

Offline Windsong

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2024, 12:27:35 PM »
Well, that's a great discovery!  Nice work!