Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is this?  (Read 855 times)

Offline windydankoff

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 494
  • Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
Re: What is this?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2024, 08:59:52 PM »
The mechanism needs to be all free of loose motion so the leather seats exactly the same way every time.
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C

Offline Snorky

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 15
  • Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: What is this?
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2024, 08:32:37 AM »
Yeah, I am expecting that to cause some challenges. Especially with what appears to be friction fit "rods" that don't have any symmetry or threads. I have never seen that before.  But this is what learning is about.
I think that the absolute worst case is going to have tap and thread posts and rods -shudder.  8)

Offline modernicus

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 534
    • View Profile
Re: What is this?
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2024, 08:32:37 PM »
In regards to the general tone hole discussion, I've found those spherical tone hole cutter tools (I think I got mine from Ferree's) that cut the opposite direction to the original tone hole edge work well to clean up ragged tone hole edges in certain situations, if you're feeling bold! 8). I do like leather pads for old instruments that can accept thicker pads, due to their compensating nature.  Unfortunately not all have enough clearance for the overall thickness, or, the pad cups are extremely shallow.
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...