Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your favorite etude/practice books  (Read 2438 times)

Offline ZoeB

• View Profile
Your favorite etude/practice books
« on: June 12, 2013, 04:11:53 AM »
It\'s always nice to have a few etudes to warm up to, or just play for the heck of it. What book/pieces do you prefer?

Along with the standard scales, arpeggios and chord progressions, I use:

-Upscale, Downscale- Jan van Beekum, which was recommended to me by a teacher a few years ago, and has etudes in different major and minor keys

-25 Etudes Faciles et Progressives pour Clarinette- Jacques Lancelot, which I found at the library, and which focuses on etudes for different styles of playing.

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
RE: Your favorite etude/practice books
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 06:51:41 PM »
You\'ve made me realize something - I need to focus more on music and less on clarinet brand, reed brand, MP brand, bore size etc.!!!

I\'m still on Book 1 Essential Elements - my goal by end of Summer to transition to Book 2 with complete confidence. I really have to work on my note reading and key signatures. Been slacking as of late just doodling around on my vintage instruments.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
RE: Your favorite etude/practice books
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 08:02:58 PM »
aye, i havent actually played in soo long its kind of sad, really.

every now and then, about once a week, i toss out my Mozart\'s Clarinet Concerto and think that I\'m going to play like I did in my glory days.  After two lines, my lips fall off and I cry myself to sleep because I can\'t play it anymore :(

so ithats a good idea, i should really restart from the bare basics and get back to my old level.  someday...
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States