Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Double lip embouchure  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Airflyte

• Administrator
  • CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
Double lip embouchure
« on: August 07, 2013, 06:35:20 PM »
I have been dabbling with a double lip embouchure and have found it more comfortable as well as much more challenging.
Upper notes just fall apart from no support but the lower notes have more \"fullness\" to my ears.
I suppose if keep at it, the upper register will improve but for now it just seems impossible:s

Anyone here care to participate in some \"chop\" talk ???
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
RE: Double lip embouchure
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 07:52:59 PM »
the saxophone folks apparently require a double lip in order to get anything done, and it does admittedly give off a louder, stronger, and fuller tone.
however, i have heard that a double lip goes out of tune easily; i\'m not certain of the validity of that statement though.

for bass clarinet, anyways, when you hardly go into the altissimo and stay down low, a double lip really gets that bass booming
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline BLMonopole

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 03:45:31 AM »
I played double lip for years (and still do on occasion as an exercise).  I found it easier to get to proper clarinet embouchure using double lip which helped me to build strength in my mouth and get to a better tone.  There\'s a tradeoff in that the instrument is less stable, which causes some other issues (and was ultimately the reason I stopped using that approach).

But as I was rebuilding my embouchure, I used it as a strengthening exercise.  Like any other change to embouchure, it can effect tone, pitch, and several other factors, but that\'s the point.....being able to control your instrument through this critical interface.

Offline clarinetcrazie64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 11:49:04 PM »
Quote from: \'TheBlueBeamPolkaProject\' pid=\'1289\' dateline=\'1375925720\'

I have been dabbling with a double lip embouchure and have found it more comfortable as well as much more challenging.
Upper notes just fall apart from no support but the lower notes have more \"fullness\" to my ears.
I suppose if keep at it, the upper register will improve but for now it just seems impossible:s

Anyone here care to participate in some \"chop\" talk ???

i have been using the double lip embouchure more and more as of late... for me, it seems to produce a more pleasing tone... especially in the clarion... but hitting a high C  with double lip can be a challenge..as well as the altissimo register.. so for me, it works fine up to the high clarion B ... it especially works well with my alto clarinet, which has a crappy tone to begin with..especially the clarion register... using double lip though, made it sound almost like a good quality wooden instrument.. which it isn\'t ... anyways, i guess i\'m in an experimental stage with the double lip embouchure..  need more practice with it...

Offline super20dan

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: Double lip embouchure
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2021, 04:28:18 PM »
sax players do NOT use a double lip. and i feel its a waist of effort and time on clarinet as well. if it was so much better everyone would use it. i have experimented with it and feel it offers no advantage. if you must try to adapt to it-get a duckbill mpc. this makes double lip playing so much eaiser.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 01:10:46 AM »
sax players do NOT use a double lip. and i feel its a waist of effort and time on clarinet as well. if it was so much better everyone would use it. i have experimented with it and feel it offers no advantage. if you must try to adapt to it-get a duckbill mpc. this makes double lip playing so much eaiser.

No shade, but every jazz saxophonist I've ever seen is going double lipped. When I was playing in college at UCLA it was a pretty even 50/50 split on double lip. For more concert scenes they tended to single lip for a more clear tone, but the jazzers were double lipping all day for more of that tenor sax growl, I suppose.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline LarryS

• I'm getting there...
    • View Profile
    • My Music Tree
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2021, 10:25:40 AM »
I think double lip was commonplace in the early days of clarinet, and with chalumeau. Also the mouthpiece tended to be upside down, in which case one would have to use double lip to avoid biting the reed.
You don't stop playing when you get old, you get old when you stop playing.
My music blog:
The Music Tree

Clarinet Pages are go!