Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: old La-Couture  (Read 7505 times)

Offline bill_reed

• View Profile
old La-Couture
« on: August 24, 2013, 06:28:38 PM »
I picked up an old La-Couture for £10.50 and was going to use it for practicing re-corking and re-padding. when I got the clarinet it was better condition than I thought. I gave it a bit of a clean and an oil. the bell is rubber and gone a green/brown color.
when I came to try it out I was surprised to find there was no leaks and it played and in tune. it has a really deep dark sound. the lower and upper joint as well as the barrel are all wood and have a tight grain.
really shocked at how good this sounds, it a \"made in Czechoslovakia\" made one.
anyone know anything about La-Couture.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 12:53:30 PM by bill_reed »

Offline bill_reed

• View Profile
RE: old La-Couture
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 10:30:02 AM »
[attachment=304][attachment=302][attachment=303here is a couple off pictures
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 05:01:48 PM by bill_reed »

Offline clarinetcrazie64

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 08:38:41 PM »
Quote from: \'bill_reed\' pid=\'1396\' dateline=\'1377394118\'

I picked up an old La-Couture for £10.50 and was going to use it for practicing re-corking and re-padding. when I got the clarinet it was better condition than I thought. I gave it a bit of a clean and an oil. the bell is rubber and gone a green/brown color.
when I came to try it out I was surprised to find there was no leaks and it played and in tune. it has a really deep dark sound. the lower and upper joint as well as the barrel are all wood and have a tight grain.
really shocked at how good this sounds, it a \"made in Czechoslovakia\" made one.
anyone know anything about La-Couture.

well, i don\'t have much information about them... but, i too , owned one for a short while.. mine was a little different than yours... all wood, including the bell, and it had \"Paris\" underneath the La Couture name.. and it was marked \"made in France\" .. so i would assume someone else made them.. but who?? i too paid a very low price for mine.. had to do a little work to it though to make it playable (didn\'t cost me a cent though)..  and i was aalso impressed with the intonation.. really good intonation.. a good value for the money \"stencil\" clarinet...  probably won\'t get too much for it  when and if you decide to sell it though.. i was lucky to make a nice little profit off it, when i sold mine.. only because i paid so little for it , to begin with...

Offline bill_reed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2013, 06:44:21 AM »
i was lucky to make a nice little profit off it, when i sold mine.. only because i paid so little for it , to begin with...
[/quote]

hi
 I was not looking to sell it more to use it to learn how to re-pad and re-cork and wanted an old clarinet to strip right down clean up. polish the wood and polish the keys. did not thing I would be getting a working clarinet for £10.50 but it plays quite well and like you said testing it against a Korg tuner its remarkably in-tune.
think I will strip it right down and take my time giving it a real good service, new pads and maybe change a few springs and I think I might just keep this it it still plays this good.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2013, 01:17:59 PM »
i have a clarinet marked

\"Laube\" La Couture Boussey (Eure)

This one is a four-piece metal and plays remarkable well!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline bill_reed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2013, 02:55:31 PM »
Quote from: \'DaveLeBlanc\' pid=\'1410\' dateline=\'1377548279\'

i have a clarinet marked

what I can find is that it probably been made by Couesnon. most were three piece metal. it also seems they were only marked on the bell and not anywhere else.
P X Laube. La Couture Boussey (Eure)
don\'t seem to be very many around any more.

Offline bill_reed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 03:02:37 PM »
Quote from: \'DaveLeBlanc\' pid=\'1410\' dateline=\'1377548279\'
i have a clarinet marked

Is it like the one in the picture! its a laube, la couture Boussey (Eure).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:55:40 AM by bill_reed »

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 06:38:32 PM »
it is similar, but does not have the fat C hole.  Also, it comes apart in the middle and at the bell.  All I know is that it is one of the best clarinets I have played!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 07:21:36 PM »
Czechoslovakia clarinets may also be Kohlert stencils

Offline bill_reed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 04:32:29 AM »
Quote from: \'DaveLeBlanc\' pid=\'1439\' dateline=\'1377742896\'

Czechoslovakia clarinets may also be Kohlert stencils

I don\'t think it is old enough to be a Kohlert stencile. I think Amati took over after wwII and yes they used Kohlert tools and plant but it seemed they could not use the Name after 1945, I think mine is maybe mid 60s so more likely Amati, the keys look like the ones they used.
I am looking to get a old VINTAGE CORTON to compare with the La-Couture as they look the same from pictures, so if I have both in hand then I\'ll be better able to judge if the are the same. the Corton is marked foreign but I think it Czech made too.

A.P.TOLEDO

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 02:10:49 PM »
Hello fellows,
I\'ve a clarinet wood  La Marque - Paris-France - Bb - 17 keys - Boehm - Serial Number: H 22373 and I\'d appreciate to have information about this manufacturer and (aprox.) the age of this instrument. Anybody can help me?

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 06:35:29 PM »
Can we have a picture please?  It sounds like it is from the 1950s, but a closer inspection of the keys would give a better estimate of the year.

Offline bill_reed

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 07:14:04 PM »
Quote from: \'DaveLeBlanc\' pid=\'1446\' dateline=\'1377826529\'

Can we have a picture please?  It sounds like it is from the 1950s, but a closer inspection of the keys would give a better estimate of the year.

the first picture is the La-Couture and the seconds is the Corton.

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
Re: old La-Couture
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 05:13:57 PM »
I just noticed this thread (about time) and the La Couture model in the photos is an Amati stencil. The rings are quite unique on these and combined with the shapes of the throat trills and other key details, it is exactly like Amati clarinets from the post war years. Often these are stenciled with other names, the Meyer name is a common one and I have seen them with other names usually inside a curly decorative border surrounding the name. The key work is a dead giveaway. Typically the wood is jet black. It might be dyed but it looks great, pretty high polish. The plating varies on these sometimes from solid nickel silver to a kind of chrome plating. All of them I have seen were sturdy well made instruments.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum