Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Foolish buy? Full Boehm Bb Nuernberger Markneukirchen  (Read 4288 times)

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
Re: Foolish buy? Full Boehm Bb Nuernberger Markneukirchen
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 12:49:23 PM »
It's pretty bad, but maybe not a fatal case, IMO. I think you have some sensitive surgery to do, but it's probably a worthwhile endeavor. Tone hole inserts will be necessary in a few cases. I don't know what to say about that metal sleeve in the bore. If that is glued in there with mystery adhesive, it might be best to leave it. The early Bakelite Bettoney Cadet model had a metal sleeve in that location as original equipment. I am wondering if this one might also be original? Maybe get a gentle rotary tool in there and polish it to as thin as possible? This will require some innovative approaches in several locations.

I did have what looked like a DIY carved up tone hole surround on that Berteling Excelsior at the upper G#/A on the A tone hole. (photos before and after) I think that the A key was probably originally mis-aligned and someone tried to improve it with a pocket knife! There would have better ways. In the attempt to add some room for the key pad and cup, they added minor chips to the tone hole crown. Originally, I thought it an egregious offense, but it's very minor compared to what you face here. Fortunately those chips could be polished out with very fine grit paper glued onto a dowel I carved out the end of into a cone shape. I just rotated that on the tone hole crown until it was smooth but still had a good crown. Then I made a pointed cone on the other end of the dowel and used the same paper glued to that to restore the chamfered edge. The best solution to the mis-alignment was to fit a rather thick pad at an angle rather than straight and get it in there so it would seat (barely) on the entire circumference of the new crown, which I reduced in circumference ever so slightly with the rotating tool. It's the touchiest thing I've done to a tone hole yet. I considered taking a razor saw blade width out of the A key where the G# crosses it to bring it back some over the tone hole but decided to save that as a measure of last resort.

I think you are going to need to resort to some similar pad and tone hole strategies to get this one playing, or just do a whole bunch of tone hole inserts. I am confident you will be able to fix it. When you are done with this one you will indeed be a very experienced restoration expert!  ;)
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 12:56:32 PM »
And so the work begins...
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2017, 01:37:27 PM »
Wow.  What an incredible tragedy.  It would be very difficult to fix correctly, I suppose.
I hope that you will consider sending the seller an email at the least, letting him or her know what they have passed along.  It may do no good, but it certainly cannot hurt at this point, and may cause them to be more discerning or specific in the future.

The good news is that you can only improve upon it.  Even if you throw in the towel at some point, it is an instrument of historical significance, and deserves to be "healed", if at all possible.  Your skills can only lead it to that end, even if you never finish it.
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.