Author Topic: W. R. Yorke, Inc clarinet  (Read 7385 times)

Offline gkern

• View Profile
    • http://clarinut.net
Re: W. R. Yorke, Inc clarinet
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2016, 02:23:12 PM »
Rezzie, having attended Purdue while living in Indiana from birth (1937) until 1983*, the rivalry is infused in my blood.  My best golfing buddy and a former tour pro was an IU grad, so no bad blood however.  Incidentally, I also attended Texas A&M*, and that rivalry with UT sometimes got rough.  The guys did kidnap Bevo before the game while I was here...
Playing a clarinet badly is better than not playing a clarinet at all.

Offline rezzie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 09:17:41 AM »
Rezzie, having attended Purdue while living in Indiana from birth (1937) until 1983*, the rivalry is infused in my blood.  My best golfing buddy and a former tour pro was an IU grad, so no bad blood however.  Incidentally, I also attended Texas A&M*, and that rivalry with UT sometimes got rough.  The guys did kidnap Bevo before the game while I was here...

Unless a basketball game happens to be going on at the time, the UT/A&M rivalry tends to overshadow that of the Hoosier state in fame and intensity.

But in winter months, things are a little different...  You can't explain what it is about Indiana and basketball to someone who's never been there.  One year when I was at IU, Brown County got far enough along to get to Hinkle for the tournament.  People from Bloomington and the next towns around went over to Nashville to man all the local public services so everybody could get to Indianapolis for the game.  Never seen anything like it.
Ivo Papasov laughs at your primitive time signatures.

Offline gkern

• View Profile
    • http://clarinut.net
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2016, 02:07:54 PM »
Rezzie, you shoulda been there in 1954 when tiny Milan won the IHSAA state basketball tournament!  I think it was Bobby Plump who hit a last second (or so) shot to win the final game (was it against Muncie Central?).  This inspired the movie "Hoosiers".  Milan had beaten Terre Haute Gerstmeyer in the semi-final.  Future IU stars Arley and Harold Andrews (uncle and nephew) were on that team.

Oh yeah, I was in High School in Indiana then.

Kinda got off the Yerke subject, huh?  Too many memories brought back.
Playing a clarinet badly is better than not playing a clarinet at all.

Offline GrumpyMiddleAgedMan

• Humph
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 02:30:24 PM »
I'm a little confused on this one.
To add to this defunct conversation I came across one of these instruments and wouldn't mind comparing. To be fair, I bought it more for the case then the instrument itself.
It came sans the mouthpiece which I don't think will hurt the resale ::). Looking at the pics posted already I am going to assume the bell is not an original part either. Not sure on that. The barrel has the company brand on it bit it isn't marked aria like the upper is. The upper and lower have matching serial's so I'm pretty sure they are a set.
What I'm curious about is if the barrel  is a replacement or original and if the bell is not original either where is it from. One last thing, I would swear it is a plastic body, not hard rubber though I could be wrong.

Addition:
After fudding around with it, I'm pretty sure it isn't the right barrel. The bands are a different design and I had to pull it about 2 mil to get it in tune.  I'm guessing body is HR but I think bell is plastic.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:05:51 PM by GrumpyMiddleAgedMan »
Only happy mistakes here.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 11:33:58 PM »
I never thought Id ever see one of these again!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Online windydankoff

• Put a BLACK HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • My solar website ... Find MUSIC tab on top
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2020, 08:57:54 AM »
It looks, by all visible details, just like the Pedler SN E20716 (circa 1950) that I had (I checked your photos against mine). Measure the length of barrel. Mine was I think a few mm shorter than normal, and the upper joint was correspondingly longer.

It's a "large-bore" horn (15mm UJ and a big bottom). I was delighted with it. Deep tone and fine intonation, and easy-blowing very much like the Pruefer Silver Throat, but not as loud.

I see German silver keywork there. It will polish up very nicely. Lucky the hard rubber stayed black. (Mine was like Army green.)
Windy  ~  BLACK HOLE Clarinets
C CLARINETS & Pruefer Silver Throat
Refined to concert standards
Thanks to The Clarinet Pages

Offline GrumpyMiddleAgedMan

• Humph
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2020, 11:23:43 AM »
The dimensions I came up with, after converting standard to metric. The barrel is 60mm, the uj not including tendons is 191mm, LJ is 234mm(no tendon). Should be roughly correct after conversion. The over all length (barrel to bell) was about 23.5" so about 597 mm(I think I was a hair off). Interior is a spacious 15mm, and as close to the end of the taper on the lower as I could get with the calipers is 22.5mm.
The rubber is a nice black yes, I have a feeling it was lightly used.
Only happy mistakes here.