Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Help requested: Robert Martel Superieure metal clarinet  (Read 2940 times)

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
Help requested: Robert Martel Superieure metal clarinet
« on: October 06, 2012, 04:31:42 PM »
Lisa asks this quetion:

\"Hi :)
I\'ve been trying to find info on a solid body metal clarinet stamped Robert Martel Superieure on the bell
have found very very few references... I have someone interested in buying it but wanted a better feel for what a fair price is.

Any help would be awesomely appreciated :)

I haven\'t a clue on this one. I hope some metal clarinet experts will chime in.

bugbarny

RE: Help requested: Robert Martel Superieure metal clarinet
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »
I have found this to be the most informative site on Metal clarinets  I really like the metal clarinets and love to get them playable.     http://restorationwoodwinds.com/RWW_Clarinet_Sales_Data_Complete.html

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 09:57:47 PM »
I don\'t know a thing about metal clarinets!  All I know is that they are cool, and if sometimes SUPER rare (I reference my Bottali metal albert system with plateau keys)
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 03:03:01 PM »
Jim L replied by e-mail and this is his response:

I believe these were made in Italy for export to the US.    No telling who actually made it.   I have seen these on eBay and they look like they have student quality keywork.   While it is an uncommon model, that doesn\'t make it collectible.  There were over 500 names appearing on metal clarinets.    Very few people collect the student models.    It is not especially valuable to restore and use, either.   The common American made student models were better instruments.  

Assuming that your clarinet has a functioning case, that all of the keys move freely, that there is no rust on any of the metal parts, that the barrel is present and there is no obvious damage, it would be worth between $30 to $50.    The barrel is the part that holds the mouthpiece and sometimes is missing.   if it is badly tarnished, or if there are piece missing the value would be half that.  

Not the answer one hopes for on the clarinet roadshow!