Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Broken tenon joint  (Read 7146 times)

Offline myopickumquatrhodes

• View Profile
Broken tenon joint
« on: January 26, 2015, 08:47:47 AM »
The young daughter of a friend of my wife has broken her clarinet. Apparently it fell to the school floor from a table. The tenon from the upper main joint has broken off and became lodged in the lower joint. I have managed to remove that bit and have removed the cork so I can see it better. The break is remarkably clean, to the extent that it\'s difficult to line up the bits.

The clarinet isn\'t valuable. It\'s an André Bardot Artiste plastic instrument, but it apparently worked pretty well. Her parents are not able to buy a new clarinet St the moment, but are renting one for now.

I have made it clear to the girl\'s mother that she needs to expect to have to buy a new instrument in due course, but that I would have a look at it to see if there is any hope of rresuscitating the old one. I think it would be uneconomical to pay for a professional to repair the clarinet.

In short, I want to know if there\'s a quick and easy way to attempt to repair the joint. If it doesn\'t work, then so be it. I was wondering whether I could just glue the broken bit back on the the upper joint with contact cement or superglue. Is there any realistic chance of that holding?

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

Many thanks.
Simon Rhodes

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
RE: Broken tenon joint
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 07:07:17 PM »
well, there is the option of replacing the tenon with a metal joint, which actually works beautifully.

ive only seen that done one time, on a clarinet that I bought.  The upper join tenon was completely replaced with an aluminum tube.  I hav no idea how they did it, but it was incredible.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 07:18:11 AM »
Cool, though I don\'t think that\'s something I could do at home. I did half wonder about a metal tube with an outside diameter the same as the inside diameter as the clarinet, but the chances of finding something exactly right are slim.

I think I\'ll just try the superglue and hope for the best! The worst that can happen is that the clarinet will still be unusable...
Simon Rhodes

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 06:34:52 PM »
The only issue with the metal tube is that it would affect tuning just a bit, as it would decrease the diameter of the bore just slightly in that area. (one of the major design flaws with the Silver Throat type of clarinet - they didn\'t compensate for the thickness of the metal sleeve!)

I would try for some more heavy duty adhesive, such as Gorilla glue or something like that.  A weaker glue would just break again and that would just be annoying.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
Thanks. I\'ll try to get some Gorilla Glue tomorrow. With any luck, it will work reasonably well. I\'ll let you.know..
Simon Rhodes

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 08:36:46 PM »
Good luck!!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 08:40:20 PM »
Oh - here\'s that clarinet I was talking about.

http://clarinetpages.info/showthread.php?tid=230&highlight=godfroy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 09:48:42 PM »
That looks excellent! All this poor girl is going to get is a smear of glue and some new cork. At least she\'s not paying for the privilege...!
Simon Rhodes

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 12:37:18 PM »
Ah well if it works then it works!

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 10:10:35 AM »
Professional repair people have a way to replace a broken off tenon like that. I have seen the special tools needed.

Super glue by itself will not hold it, and neither will gorilla glue.

Since it is a cheaper plastic clarinet, I would use superglue, and at the same time install a brace or sleeve that would connect the two joints permanently. So one could no longer use the old case. (Get a metal clarinet case or a soprano sax gig bag.)

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 08:21:58 PM »
Thank you. It seems that I\'ll have to do that. I\'ll check with the young lady\'s mother to see if she\'s happy with that idea.

I have been half toying with the idea of glue plus some carefully applied heat to slightly melt and bond the plastic together, but the chances of success with that are probably slim to non-existent.
Simon Rhodes

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 08:20:07 PM »
In the end, I had most luck with plain superglue. So far, it has stayed where it should even after adding replacement cork and putting it together a few times. Early days, but time will tell if the repair will last...
Simon Rhodes

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 04:42:55 PM »
New idea.  If you could drill small holes in the tenon and the rest of the joint, then run a small metal rod connecting the holes, and fill the holes with glue...  That might be a pretty solid fix...

Offline windydankoff

• Put a BLACK • HOLE in YOUR galaxy!
    • View Profile
    • Black Hole Clarinets
Re: Broken tenon joint
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2017, 01:10:38 PM »
You mean like this, Dave?    (I'm waking up an old, but worthy subject here)

I'm showing a broken socket, not a tenon (on a Vito alto) but the idea is the same. My first effort using thin CA glue (superglue) held only for a few days. Second effort, same glue but then I added "rebar".

I got a pack of drill bits so I could use them as rebar. I cemented them in with thick CA glue. I've played it for a few hours, knocked it around a bit, so far so good!

Recently I saw special cement sold for fixing broken ABS (common plastic) clarinets, said to be sufficient by iteself! It's sold by Music Medic, or a similar supplier, not sure.
Windy at BLACK • HOLE Clarinets
"User-Friendly" clarinets in Bb and C
http://www.windydankoff.com/black-hole-clarinets.html

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
Re: Broken tenon joint
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2017, 08:29:03 PM »
Nice work, Windy.
That's my technique too:  Drill down through the body, and set barbed brass or copper pins in place.  It will never move again.
EDIT:  BTW- reduce the size of your photos if you can, before posting them up.  They are almost imposible to zoom in on at that size.
Cheers-
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:32:27 PM by Windsong »
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.