Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Beautiful Penzel-Mueller Albert system from 1927  (Read 3828 times)

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
Beautiful Penzel-Mueller Albert system from 1927
« on: June 27, 2015, 10:58:18 AM »
Harold Edwards sent this wonderful PM Albert system to me to recondition. And he also sent me a wonderful collection of the stuff that came with the clarinet, such as a bill of sale, and the original warranty card from 1927. We even find out the last name of the owner. And another plus is a nice collection of the music that was being played back then by the first clarinet section.

LINK: https://sites.google.com/a/clarinetpages.net/www/albert-system-clarinets/penzel-mueller/penzel-mueller-1927-albert

Link to the pictures: https://plus.google.com/photos/104816800247472506645/PenzelMueller1927Albert
2nd picture link: https://picasaweb.google.com/104816800247472506645/PenzelMueller1927Albert

Offline rezzie

• View Profile
Re: Beautiful Penzel-Mueller Albert system from 1927
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 01:55:34 PM »
Harold Edwards sent this wonderful PM Albert system to me to recondition. And he also sent me a wonderful collection of the stuff that came with the clarinet, such as a bill of sale, and the original warranty card from 1927. We even find out the last name of the owner. And another plus is a nice collection of the music that was being played back then by the first clarinet section.

LINK: https://sites.google.com/a/clarinetpages.net/www/albert-system-clarinets/penzel-mueller/penzel-mueller-1927-albert

Link to the pictures: https://plus.google.com/photos/104816800247472506645/PenzelMueller1927Albert
2nd picture link: https://picasaweb.google.com/104816800247472506645/PenzelMueller1927Albert

Beautiful, Phil.  The old band books and other documents are a goldmine! 

$81 in 1927 translates to $1,175.36 in today's money.  An excellent buy, considering the outstanding PM build quality and intonation for that time. 
Ivo Papasov laughs at your primitive time signatures.

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
Re: Beautiful Penzel-Mueller Albert system from 1927
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 01:21:17 PM »
I saw the record of this auction recently, along with the photo of the bill of sale. It is a wonderful thing this instrument has made it into public awareness. If I remember correctly, this is serial #9934, a five ring Albert.

The importance of this dated sales receipt for a new instrument can hardly be understated. Before this artifact appeared, the general production dates of PM clarinets was difficult or impossible to closely estimate, complicated by the fact that sometime during production, the serialization code method changed.

This receipt gives us a pretty dependable stake in the time sequence at the company. There are a few things now that we can apply to answering the date question of any given serial number. We know when the company started making them (1899), we know the date within several months of the making of #9934 (1927) and we know when the company ceased production around 1956.

Add to that the surviving records of advertisements in periodicals and several surviving instruments with "US" marking on them that identifies them with a range of years around WW2, and we now have a very good estimate of when these instruments were built based on serial number.

Additionally I should mention that I have it from the seller of an early A (spiral register key) Penzel Mueller that was recently for sale, that it had no serial that he could find anywhere. Serialization then might have commenced some time into the production.

I have already discussed with the administrator of the Penzel Mueller Fan page pooling a list of known instruments and serial numbers. I have been collecting images and serial numbers of ones at auction and I have about a dozen Penzel Muellers in my own collection. If we can collect enough serial numbers, then we can tighten up our time table of serial ranges.

In my efforts, here are some things that seem apparent by observation. The first serial sequence is a simple number sequence. Therefore by about 1930, around 10,000 instruments had been built. This serial sequence system was used until at least the middle to late 1930s with numbers going higher than # 17000. It was still in place after the Artist model name was in use. Then the serial format changed and about the same time, more models were introduced.

The letter prefixes were added and the numbers started over again. For instance, my H127B is an Empire. I have seen several Empire serial records and all of them have the H prefix. So what I have is the 127th clarinet of the second serial series and it is an H model, an Empire, and it is a Bb clarinet (the B suffix).

Some of the Artist models in the second serial series have an "M" prefix, others have an "L". All of the Brilliante models I have record of have the "M" prefix. It thus appears that until the Brilliante was introduced, the Artist had the "M" prefix, and then became the "L" when the Brilliant took the top model slot and also the "M" prefix. Super Brilliantes have the prefix "SM".

If we look at the bulk of the instruments that are stamped "US", indicating manufacture for military use, these are in the (X)6000 - (X)8000 range. It is most plausible that this is the range of production around WW2.

The highest serial I have on record is my own H15208B, a later Empire, and it thus appears that this is a late 40s or early 50s model, getting toward the end of the range of production.

Since we now have this time/serial stake, and a good collection of instruments, lets build up the production record for this company. PM was certainly one of the highest quality and most consistent instrument makers of its' time. Historically, the makers are llineage at least as significant as Thibouville or Buffet. We should be diligent in establishing the historical record of their instruments.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:31:46 PM by Silversorcerer »
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum