Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Crazy Plateau System Albert System Metal Clarinet!!!!  (Read 10136 times)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
Crazy Plateau System Albert System Metal Clarinet!!!!
« on: September 08, 2012, 03:30:26 PM »
Hello all.  Today I have for you the most interesting clarinet I have ever seen in my life.  This is a Plateau System, Albert System, Metal Clarinet.  Now metal clarinets are a little unusual.  An albert system metal clarinet is more unusual.  A plateau system metal clarinet is even more unusual.  However, once you put all those together, you get this clarinet I have here.  

It is a \"BREVETTO BOTTALI PRIMARIA PREMIATA FABRICA A.M. BOTTALI MILANO(O) (ITALIA)\" brand.

I dont speak Italian, but it looks like it means something like, \"primary premium fabricated by AM Bottali in Milano, Italy.\"

Odd brand, yes.  Odder still is the construction.

It is a complete plateau system, with plateaus keys on every hole except the thumb hole.  
Sadly, it is not in playing condition and will probably never be able to be restored, due to the fact that it is significantly bent in the middle.
But, it is still something!

Does anybody have any information at all about this instrument and others of this type?

A clue to the year may be the fact that it is the early style albert system, with no rollers.  This may date it as early as 1920, I think.

Dave LeBlanc
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

metalclarinet

RE: Crazy Plateau System Albert System Metal Clarinet!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 07:57:09 PM »
From the New Langwell Index

Bottali, Fratelli A.M.  operating prior to 1898 and out of operations 1839, milano

Antonio Bottali was foreman nd around 1676 successor to Ferdinando Roth;  the firm traded first as Roth & Botali, by 1912 as A&M Bottali.   Around 1920 taken over by Maino & Orsi, 1926 as Botteli-Roth-Pelitti.

The company patented the family of 4 rothophones (way cool)

Prior to this instrument, the only plateau metal clarinets I have seen were boehm system made by Pedler.   i don\'t recall if the thumb hole had a pad covering or no.  

It looks like yours in nickel plated as opposed to silver plated?
I don\'t see a kink in the body, such a slight bend.   it looks repairable to me.  Do all of the keys work freely?   I would guess your assessment about 1920s is about right but from the above, possibly as early as 1912.  

I know someone who has worked on some very unusual metal clarinets and does A+ work, if you are interested.   He fabricated a missing chimney for one and a missing spatula key on another.   He has repaired some body damage for me, as well.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 11:05:20 PM »
Wow!  Thanks so much for your information!  I thought for sure this was some obscure brand haha.
This example does Not have a covered thumb hole; it is open as per normal.

Also, this guy had a removable bell... Odd

Well, holding it with the bell flat on ground, the body curves a bit to the left and then back to center, to make a somewhat serpentine look!  Haha.
All the keys do work freely, all that are missing are pads and a few springs.  
There is one broken key, the one that closes the pad on the very very bottom ( I forget what that key is called...)

Could I have some more information about this metal
Clarinet expert?  I\'d love to get in touch with him!

Thanks,
Dave LeBlanc

Oh yes, it does not seem to be silver (doesn\'t have the feel of silver, and my silver cloth doesn\'t shine it up).  So it is probably nickle
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 11:15:41 PM by DaveLeBlanc »

metalclarinet

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 07:00:56 AM »
The maker is not obscure, in the sense that Rothophones are famous among sarrusophone players & collectors.   I have been watching eBay for more than 10 years and writing down the names of metal clarinet makers.   I don\'t know how many actual makers existed, but there were over 500 trade names.   Yours is the first I have seen from this maker.  

Removable bells were not especially rare.  Buffet, Selmer, Pedler, King, Conn, Buescher, and a few others made them on some models.   Still, you are right that most metal clarinets had the bell attached to the body.  

Write to me offline for contact info on Mr Belinski, who would do a first rate restoration job.  He can be slow, however.  

metalclarinet (at) gmail (dot) com

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:29:23 AM »
Ah I see.  I always wanted a sarrusophone, but the 5-10 grand that they usually go for on ebay is a bit out of my price range...

Well least this guy is a little special.

I\'ll send you an email presently.

Hitman99

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:43:45 AM »
Can someone please help me Identify this please?
it says Console in colvely handwriting on each peice.

A little brown, looks old. I know it\'s a Plateau but that\'s where the certainty stops with its ID (or how to value it)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 06:15:48 PM »
Wow that is incredible!  It looks like it is hard rubber.  True albert system plateau, never seen one before.

I have seen Consoles here and there, but I dont know anything about them.  

Again, splendid example!

In playing condition, I am sure that this would sell for a significant amount to the right collector.

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 06:16:24 PM »
I\'ve put info on your Console on the other thread.

Brigette

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 06:11:04 PM »
a plateau keyed Console popped up on eBay earlier last week,,,