Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dad's Conn 448N  (Read 6524 times)

Offline chictagsale

• View Profile
Dad's Conn 448N
« on: October 17, 2015, 03:17:09 PM »
Hi All,
Let me apologize up front for my musical illiteracy! I'm wondering what my dad's Clarinet is worth. It has the brass icon on the bell ( I had to learn bell to get into this site!!!) and on the upperjoint is imprinted a number 448N B254835L CONN USA. It is in a zipppered velour case and has all its parts plus a marching band thing, a little  box marked Farmco , a Delkay cork grease tin, and a cloth on a string.About 20 years ago I took it to  the music shop to see if my son could learn to play on it and the man at the music store said it was much too complicated for a beginner. So back to the closet it went. I'm curious now....can anyone help?

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
Re: Dad's Conn 448N
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 05:41:54 PM »
You do have something special there.  I don't know exactly what it's worth, but just from the pics it has an extended range which likely increases the value no matter the brand or model.  I'm sure some with more knowledge will chime in, but I believe it is pro level Conn of the era.  You wouldn't get rich (for a variety of reasons most clarinets aren't incredibly valuable) but players and collectors would be interested and I think it would fetch a respectable amount.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 06:14:45 PM by modernicus »
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline chictagsale

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 11:40:22 PM »
Thanks for your response. I'm looking forward to learning more about it!!! :)

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 04:02:35 PM »
I wouldn't let it go for any less than $500
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline rezzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 06:18:03 PM »
That looks like a true full Boehm 448N from here.  That's a sweetheart.

Old clarinets aren't generally worth much, but this is an exception.  Best of Luck.

Keep us informed if you plan to sell.  Many of us restore these kinds of instruments as well.
Ivo Papasov laughs at your primitive time signatures.

Offline chictagsale

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 10:26:48 PM »
Thanks for the responses I really appreciate it. I will definitely keep all posted with my plans. I'm not surprised that it was a nice clarinet at one time because he was a serious player when he was young until he "realized there was a lot more talented " players than him. I feel like selling to an enthusiast is the right thing to do rather than let it gather dust on my closet shelf.If I decide to go ahead I know this isn't a selling site so is Ebay the way to go with a reserve or are there more specialized sites?
Thanks again to all of you!

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 10:58:15 PM »
I have a couple of 444N models;- one of the earlier ones with the medallion on the upper joint and another with the medallion on the bell;- both are the more standard keywork. I have noticed that these "brass" medallions are curiously resistant to tarnish- I am not quite sure that those medallions are brass. Raw brass turns very dark brown in a short period of time and the medallions are not lacquered. All of those medallions that I have seen are still fairly bright yellow. One of the medallions on mine has considerable surface wear and there is no indication that it is a plated metal.

I am not in agreement that the instrument is too complicated for a beginner. It might be more valuable than something you want to send to school with a junior high schooler though. The additional key(s) could easily be ignored by a beginner. All I see is the full Boehm extra right hand pinkie key, which is probably pretty handy. I can't see the upper joint rings in the photos, but if it is a 7 ring model, the additional ring in the upper joint is something one does not even notice except that it is highly advantageous when one gets around to playing E major scales and arpeggios. My first thought is that if your son is learning clarinet, save it for him when he is ready for an upgrade and get him a decent beginner instrument in between. If he gives it up before needing a better clarinet, then sell it.

I would definitely say that if the instrument is in good shape and has no cracks, past damage, no defects in the keys or wood that $500 is probably the bottom price and it might go for considerably more at an auction. That is a rare professional model Conn and the 444N cousin is a highly sought after instrument that has excellent intonation and is, IMO, a better professional clarinet that a host of later more contemporary models. Most people that would be working at a music store now are just too young to realize what you have there. Old clarinerds like me;- my mouth waters.....
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline rezzie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 08:07:38 PM »
Indeed, this is pretty mouthwatering, Mr. Sorcerer.  It has the articulated C#/G# - note the key on the pad cup of the lower joint and the lack of the tone hole for this on the upper joint.  You can't see the top of the middle tenon, but I'd bet money there's a tone hole drilled through the top of it.  The only question remaining is the existence of the seventh ring for the C/G.

As others have said here, you'd need to find someone like the anoraks on this forum to know the value of what you have there.
Ivo Papasov laughs at your primitive time signatures.

Offline chictagsale

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2015, 09:50:44 AM »
Hi Rezzie,
I was taking pictures and I attached what I think you were talking about (the tone hole).

Offline chictagsale

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 10:40:57 AM »
I have put the Conn 448N on ebay. I will let you all know how it works out. Thanks for all your knowledge and input. It is greatly appreciated.

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 01:38:24 PM »
I was just about ready to make you an offer. Yes, it is a seven ring model, with all the key options including articulated C#/G#, and the extended Eb key. It's the rare treasure for fans of the pro vintage Conns. The serial indicates 1932 according to the Conn Loyalist web site.

I found the listing. If it goes south at the auction, doesn't meet your reserve, pull it and get back to me. As it is, I might be bidding on it soon.  :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 02:03:43 PM by Silversorcerer »
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 02:22:13 PM »
Shame you're selling it.  Would have been an excellent candidate for restoration.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline chictagsale

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2015, 10:23:18 AM »
Hi
I set a reserve that wasn't met. The highest bid was just above $200.00. So I'm keeping it!

Thanks all for all your input.

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2015, 02:44:41 PM »
That is probably the best idea for the present. FYI, I did not bid because I didn't have what I thought it would take. Please maintain contact here should your plans change. Sometimes the best customer might need a little more time to raise the funds to make selling worth your while. The right price for your Conn might catch a musician a bit off guard.

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2015, 07:26:25 PM »
I think a different auction format may have yielded a different result, but that isn't for everyone!  I still think it's pretty special no matter the current dollar value. :)
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...