Author Topic: Dad's Conn 448N  (Read 4644 times)

Offline stokespeter

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
Re: Dad's Conn 448N
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2020, 07:30:25 PM »
I have just acquired a fully restored 448N. Wanted to link a FB post for continuity.  This is a fantastic instrument with pitch as good or better than an R13 across the full range, that was a happy surprise.

https://www.facebook.com/1592526224/posts/10220358792871908/  A rare instrument.

Offline Airflyte

• CONNoisseur of Vintage Ebonite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2020, 07:52:45 PM »
Welcome to the forum Peter.

Very nice professional level Conn. Feel free to tells us more details such as pad types and such.
"The Clarinet - in a class of its own"

Visit Phil Pedler's Clarinet Pages NEW website!
https://sites.google.com/clarinetpages.net/clarinetpages

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2020, 08:29:00 PM »
Hey Peter, any relation to Sheridon Stokes?
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages

Offline stokespeter

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2020, 10:08:13 PM »
Iíll have to ask Dave what pads he used, it plays divinely. 

No relation to Sheridan so far as I know. My Dad was one of twelve out of Brooklyn NY, but he did not keep in touch with his siblings so I donít know.  It would be nice to reconnect but I wouldnít know where to begin. 

Dave has done great work for me on now three clarinets. A Leblanc Symphonie from the Ď50s, a 1930ís Silva bet in pristine condition, and now this Conn. Heís also done some work for me on my super cheap Vito Bass.  Iíll inquire about pads, what else is of interest?  Dave did point out that the pivots are all setup with side locking screws so as the instrument wears itís pretty easy to take out play.  Iíll post a picture to show what he means.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2020, 10:58:03 PM »
Those early Symphonies are really something, aren't they? Worked on one myself around 3-4 years ago. Always hurts to part with someone you love...

Offline stokespeter

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2020, 08:37:18 AM »
The Leblanc is my moms. sheís had it since she was in highschool. I was astonished that my Grandfather would have paid its price new in 1950 as he was a farmer in western NY And money was never available.  It has magnificent tone and I will be both happy and sad to have it as my own someday.  Mom had thought that she had just lost the ability to play but it turned out that as happens her case had pad weevils and they had caused so many leaks the keys were not functional anymore.  Several shops declined working on it but Dave greeted it as an old friend, told me things about its heritage and did an immaculate job of repadding, replaced a worn tenon cork and re-regulated it. 

Moms currently playing again and thrilled to have it restored to its former performance.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2020, 01:36:51 PM »
I never understood why anybody would refuse to work on a clarinet like that. I have a ďno clarinet left behindĒ policy.
Given a regular old Bundy Iíll still spend many hours and put as much care into it as I would an R13.

I guess it just depends what your personality is and how much you respect the instrument.

Offline Dibbs

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2020, 04:20:29 PM »
I think it's largely because it's hard to quote for.  Regular jobs on a modern instrument are easy.  An old instrument is a bit of a mystery.  Who knows what you will find?  Then there's the psychological aspect.  Someone who works on musical instruments is very likely a bit of an introvert and doesn't want any hassle.  You don't need many difficult customers who think they have a Stradivarius equivalent to make a decision to avoid old worn instruments.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2020, 06:57:17 PM »
Thatís a good point. Lots of people think that old = valuable and that is absolutely NOT the case with clarinets. Maybe saxophones, but for the most part any clarinet before 1970 is going to be worth a buck or two.

Iíve always had a dream myself. A music store with honest prices, honest techs, and a no-discrimination policy.

One day Iíll open up that shop. But probably not today, haha.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2020, 08:44:22 PM »
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I would like to share a lovely Classic that I restored a while ago. It's not a Symphonie, but it's pretty close! The font on this and the original Symphonie are just about the same. Looks like they changed the font for the Symphonie 2 and above
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 09:30:02 PM by DaveLeBlanc »

Offline dulcettones

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2020, 08:30:48 AM »
Hi there,
I'm not even sure if you're still an active user here, but just in case you are, I wondered if you can tell me the dimensions of the barrel from your Dad's 448N?
You see, I have been playing the same instrument for yearsóbut using a different barrel, which means the instrument plays sharpóand I'm now looking to find an original/replacement barrel. But to do this, I need the original dimensions: so length and bore.
Any help you can provide would be most appreciated. A picture of the barrel would go a long way in helping too.
Thanks, Mark