Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: D B Paris Clarinet One piece body 17"  (Read 3620 times)

Offline 2ndhandqueenie

• View Profile
D B Paris Clarinet One piece body 17"
« on: March 18, 2016, 12:26:15 PM »
Same estate of the retired Yamaha engineer
this clarinet is much larger than the others
and it has a one piece body
just the body alone is 17"
is it a Bb clarinet?
age?

Offline rezzie

• View Profile
Re: D B Paris Clarinet One piece body 17"
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 01:34:45 PM »
17" for the body alone would make this a Bb clarinet (just measured mine to double check)...

This is 1920's or earlier, I would guess.  Wow.  That's very interesting.
Ivo Papasov laughs at your primitive time signatures.

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 05:13:16 PM »
Some neat and unusual keywork/features going on!  Haven't seen anything exactly like it before...
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 05:43:52 PM »
What make is it?  Can't tell the logo but almost looks like a Conn.

Rezzie, due to the two posts for the pinky keys, this clarinet probably is not that old; they only started doing double post after 1920.

The tone holes look metal.  I have literally never seen a clarinet with metal tone holes, ever.  And the first obo-esque is very unique.  I'm thinking this must have been a custom-made instrument, otherwise I would have seen one like it!

It is difficult to appraise this instrument due to it's likely one-of-a-kind nature.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 05:59:47 PM »
OK, so where are the trill keys?  ???
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 09:14:46 PM »
I have a Rampone eflat with metal tone holes.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 10:46:48 AM »
I have a Rampone eflat with metal tone holes.

Is it an Albert system though?

Offline cledzh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 03:25:12 PM »
this is a french Double Boehm clarinet. patent is from 1948.

The keywork is special: it makes the fingering of the left and right hand similar: full step - full step - half step.

The Double Boehm company made instruments with and without side trill keys, see here: http://cledzh.jimdo.com/b%C3%B6hm-system/double-boehm/

Because the fingering was different from "normal" Boehm system clarinets it never really became popular.
The company stopped its activity in 1967.

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 11:58:21 AM »
I have never seen another one like that.   :o

One wonders if it was limited to proto-type models that didn't make it into production numbers. It appears to be totally redesigned in the left hand keys, right hand borrows key layout from Boehm, but;- I'd have to be blowing the notes on it to tell what it does for playing ease. Thanks for the explanation of how it came to be. It certainly illustrates that there are many ways to skin the cat, if it works well.

I have always liked the one piece body idea, which is almost an aside considering the other differences. In metal that is common but not so often in wood or hard rubber. Some contend that the wood blanks are too short to make them this way in large numbers, but the old clarinets are almost always one stick cut into two pieces;- or three or four on the best ones. The really good ones are one piece bell to barrel and cut into the sections. In several dried out clarinets I have been able to follow the grain all the way up the clarinet. The bells are most commonly cut from a shorter fatter block, but I have a few that the grain is continuous bell through barrel.

It seems that the center socket / tenon arrangement is something that invites cracks through to the B tone hole and the bridge mechanism often gets broken in careless assembly. And the two piece design with articulated C# just has too much going on in one place. It weakens that area right where it needs to be solid I have one clarinet like that and all that mechanism at the socket is loosy-goosy even with a metal lined socket. I might convert some two piece disasters into one piece sturdy playable clarinets at some point. These would have to have custom cases of course.

Is that one going up for auction soon? There is going to be considerable collector interest, I would think. The key work looks extremely well made and whatever it is, there aren't many of them popping up.

Thanks for the reference, cledzh. That design has totally escaped my radar for the odd. I see you have a nice selection of material on that page. That should keep me busy and boredom free for a week or more.  ;D
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline 2ndhandqueenie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »
Thank you every one for your wealth of knowledge
I am going to put it up for sale on that ever so popular site
I may take my chances and set it at an auction and let it go

The key to getting attention are the words I use in the title
I am thinking ....
Vintage Double Boehm SIngle Body CLARINET DB Paris special keywork

what do yo think for a reasonable price?

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 12:59:16 PM »
I think that is good wording for the listing.

Price? This is extremely rare and in near perfect condition;- "minty" as they say. Keep in mind this is free advice that might not be worth much;- don't get in a hurry. Start on the high side. You can always reduce the price but you can only sell it once. You will not likely find a recent sale of anything like it to go by. It might take a few rounds of re-listing before a few collectors become aware of it and can set aside sufficient funds. Sometimes I have watched an instrument for 2-3 months that is on the rare side before I could make a good offer that wasn't insulting. Usually someone beats me to the draw when it's a really rare instrument.

Start high, make it clear that you will entertain realistic offers and see what happens. If you do an auction, give it the longest amount of time possible for bidding. This is not at all like selling a vintage 6-ring standard Boehm clarinet at. It's sort of like you have the clarinet equivalent of a Tucker automobile in fully operating condition. It will likely generate more interest from serious collectors that professional clarinet players and it could take a while. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:01:05 PM by Silversorcerer »

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 03:56:50 PM »
I'm really sad to see that clarinet go, but I do hope that the buyer is gentle and treats it well. I would hate to see anything happen to it other than the best.

Offline philpedler

• owner of this site
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • ClarinetPages
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 07:27:37 PM »
Thanks for your post, Cledzh!
I see you are a new member.
Thanks for joining and thanks for posting!
Phil

Offline modernicus

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 04:52:34 PM »
Thanks for identifying it!  I believe I had heard of the Double Boehm, but apparently I didn't know what they looked like...
If you ain't got 'em, that's why you need 'em...