Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just got a Semer Series K!  (Read 13832 times)

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
Re: Just got a Semer Series K!
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2016, 12:05:12 PM »
I'm watching this one just to see how high it goes. It is a newer version and has all original parts but no extra keys or rings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/322164774551?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 02:13:56 PM »
Not a bad finish. The description was very well written. Some one did some homework on them. That one had some minor repairs but had been put into good playing condition.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2016, 09:12:58 PM »
Ta-da! I don't have t back yet, but this is the picture the tech sent.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2016, 09:41:38 PM »
Bbrandha,
Ooh!  That sure is purdy!
We'll await anxiously your full report on how it plays. 
I agree that some scars do not detract from a good horn.  My best horn is pinned, and I make no excuses or apologies for it.  Nice aquisition, there.
Expert bubblegum welder, and Pedler Pedler.

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2016, 09:32:21 AM »
Now I need to decide what to sell to pay for it. I will play this and my Marbeau. I will keep the one I like best and sell the other. I am also selling the red Dazzler. I hate it so badly since I have spent hours and it still won't play right. I will pay to get it finished and kick it out the door.

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2016, 07:51:02 PM »
Now I need to decide what to sell to pay for it. I will play this and my Marbeau. I will keep the one I like best and sell the other. I am also selling the red Dazzler. I hate it so badly since I have spent hours and it still won't play right. I will pay to get it finished and kick it out the door.
I feel your pain.  Some horns just won't set up quite right--in my amateur hands, at least.  Best, sometimes, to cut and run.  I am looking at my "collection of overzealousness", and 6-8 horns have to go in the next few months to make room for (and pay for) prospective new aquisitions. 

Offline Silversorcerer

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2016, 05:48:07 AM »
A restoration is unpredictable. It's like 50/50 at best and very difficult even with an in hand inspection to anticipate certain difficulties. It seems that I always have at least one unanticipated snag in most of my restorations. The average could be worse, I'm not keeping score. It could be one stuck screw or rod, one key or tonehole that is poorly aligned, a ghost leak somewhere. That is when I learn the most about solving problems or when to give up.

The Selmer looks fantastic. I should adopt your policy of sticking with one best player and perhaps one spare. There's a nice Marbeau listed now for a more reasonable price. I didn't look into it in detail.
- Silversorcerer (David Powell) exclusively for Phil's original “The Clarinet Pages" forum

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2016, 07:05:06 PM »
The Marbeau listed seems to be identical to mine, other than the funky lyre job. If it is, it should be wonderful.

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
Re: Just got a Selmer Series K!
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2016, 05:41:47 AM »
The Selmer is playing great with one exception, and It's a biggie. The Backun barrel wobbles. Badly. The cork job on the clarinet is a thing of beauty. Do I search for a different barrel? Do I send it back to the guy that restored it? Do I put a fatter cork on myself? WWYD? <<See! I am a member of the modern age!

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2016, 12:54:49 PM »
A restoration is unpredictable. It's like 50/50 at best and very difficult even with an in hand inspection to anticipate certain difficulties. It seems that I always have at least one unanticipated snag in most of my restorations. The average could be worse, I'm not keeping score. It could be one stuck screw or rod, one key or tonehole that is poorly aligned, a ghost leak somewhere. That is when I learn the most about solving problems or when to give up.

The Selmer looks fantastic. I should adopt your policy of sticking with one best player and perhaps one spare. There's a nice Marbeau listed now for a more reasonable price. I didn't look into it in detail.
Same here.  I hate doing it for clients because I never know what's going to happen.  When I'm just banging around, I know I can always sell for parts if it doesn't work out.
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline Windsong

• View Profile
Re: Just got a Selmer Series K!
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2016, 05:39:55 PM »
The Selmer is playing great with one exception, and It's a biggie. The Backun barrel wobbles. Badly. The cork job on the clarinet is a thing of beauty. Do I search for a different barrel? Do I send it back to the guy that restored it? Do I put a fatter cork on myself? WWYD? <<See! I am a member of the modern age!

The immediate fix is to thicken up the cork, but that might not be the cure for you.  Check ID (inner diameter) of the wood and OD of the tenons with a dial caliper, and report back the difference.  It's possible (and likely) especially since you've mentioned it not playing in key, that this barrel is just not right for your horn. You can always sell your barrel and buy one of the right length and socket diameter.
No point in fidgeting with ill fitting equipment when everything else is so lovely.

Offline bbrandha

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2016, 08:24:31 PM »
I do not have such a caliper. Who would? How would someone in outer Hicksville go about finding a barrel, other than ebay? I mean, I have several here I can experiment with, I guess.

Offline abellows

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2016, 09:13:05 PM »
Looks fantastic!! I think you should recork it yourself.

Offline DaveLeBlanc

• Administrator
  • Clarinet-ing since 2012
    • View Profile
    • Watson Musical
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2016, 04:52:18 PM »
recorking is really easy and much cheaper when you do it yourself.  there's plenty of tutorials online and on youtube to work with!
David Watson of the original The Clarinet Pages
Irvine, California, United States

Offline super20dan

• Newbie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2021, 06:17:03 AM »
my first pro model clarinet was a selmer k extended bohem. paid 75$ at a pawn shop and was in playable condition. i was so thrilled and still get a thrill when i play it today. it just is such a joy to play . a 64 mm barrel is needed for me to play it at a440. the orig barrel is present but i play flat on it. i have a jazz embouchure.